free website stats program Bike soaked in gas, need advice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike soaked in gas, need advice

Thanks for the replies, called the hotline and they said to take it to the dealership have it checked out then call them back with the results, other than the 2 small spots everything else seems okay. The dealership was closed today and next week I have a maint. check scheduled anyway. My concern is more long term damage to the bike. When I pressed the trigger it went straight to handle base, there was no tension and locked in place even though the top off lock was not engaged, now I know if that happens not to even use the pump, plus I never lock the handle when filling up the bike as I like to be careful and try not to get any drips on the paint. Failed on that part big time, Guess the gas monster was getting even.
Overall though, Im a lot better today when I saw the damge is very minimal to my eyes and when I think how close I came to being cooked. Needless to say I'm going to be reminded about this for a long time by my Hog chapter.

Here's the update, went to the dealer who said they could do a wreck assessment and would need to take the bike apart, tank off etc.. to look for damage...spoke to the gas company's lawyer and they said that I would need to pay for everything first, then once they got the mechanics report back to see if the pump had a malfunction then they would decide where to go from there. Spoke with my wife and decided to leave the bike as is, wasnt too happy about the bike being tore down, I go by the saying if it aint broke dont fix it. plus just the 2 small spots on the front that the winshield will cover anyway. Had a mainentence check done and nothing unusual was found and it rides great. Called the gas company and told them I decided not to get the assessment as I didnt want the bike being torn apart. The mechanics report came back saying the handle was not broke..go figure.. so if i had pushed the issue no telling what that would've led too. So they gonna send a $100 gas card for the inconvience and cleaning supplies I bought. Its just gives the bike some character and a story to tell if asked.

Here's the update, went to the dealer who said they could do a wreck assessment and would need to take the bike apart, tank off etc.. to look for damage...spoke to the gas company's lawyer and they said that I would need to pay for everything first, then once they got the mechanics report back to see if the pump had a malfunction then they would decide where to go from there. .... .. . .. . .. .. The mechanics report came back saying the handle was not broke. .. .. . .. ... .. .. So they gonna send a $100 gas card for the inconvience and cleaning supplies I bought. Its just gives the bike some character and a story to tell if asked.

Thanks for the update, wanted to hear since this could happen to any of us. I would say a few things here. First off sounds like you had no damage to the bike that you are aware of, correct ? If so then a $100 gas card is probably the best deal since I wouldn't feel real good about a dealer tearing the bike down either.

However, if you have not yet, I would have a free consultation with a Lawyer first. The consultation won't cost you nothing and it may point out something you are not aware of as far as ramifications. Plus many times Lawyers are familar with these problems from experience and can tell you what to look out for on the bike.

The story the gas company gave you might change a bit if a lawyer had done the communicating with them instead of you. Besides a lawyer will tell you up front if you really have a case because he ain't gonna get paid otherwise. Just trying to point out something you might have missed. But glad it all seesm to have come out ok for you.

If you feel like you have been treated fairly and you are satisfied with the outcome, there is only one thing I would do. Contact the gas company and request a copy of the mech. report. If they will not provide this (if nothing was wrong what are they afraid of) than I would contact an attorney.

If you feel like you have been treated fairly and you are satisfied with the outcome, there is only one thing I would do. Contact the gas company and request a copy of the mech. report. If they will not provide this (if nothing was wrong what are they afraid of) than I would contact an attorney.
+1 on this. What if something happens in a week or two. Did the station have video of what happened ? I would ask them for a copy which they will not want to give to you. Good luck.

All great advice...get everything in writing. Unless you had a prolonged exposure to the gas I can not really imagine it causing any long term effects, no gaskets or seals really open to come into contact with. You might call the gas company back and tell them that the $100.00 gas card is great but you would be a happy camper if they also covered a detail job on the bike...that way you can have a professional go over and clean and brighten everything up...just a thought.

That's a great idea Don, very astute point. Now that you mention that, if I was the OP I would also ask for the maintenance and repair companies name (if there is one). Many years ago I worked for an outfit that did all of Exxon's work. Many times gas companies sub that out. The company I worked for had done Exxon's work for many years and then a new Exxon supervisor hired on and all of a sudden we no longer did Exxon's work.

Back