free website stats program Bike shutting down | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike shutting down

todsho

Ok...one problem fixed...now another one :wall
On my way home from work, my bike started cutting out. The tach needle falls to zero and bike shuts down. It will eventually come back to life with a bang! It happens speratically. A couple tims I had to pull off the road..died completely. Fired right back up and off I went. Could this be a bad pick up coil since the tach needle falls to zero when it cuts out? Its just like I turned the ignition off.
Its a 92 evo big twin FLHTC. There is no loss of power and when I got home, I left the bike idle for 30 min with no problem. I pulled the derby cover and noticed the plastic that covers the pickup is kind of soft and melting. I tapped it and wiggled the wires but still ran. I pulled all of the connectors and checked for corrosion and all are fine...any ideas on what to check..thanx

Indeed it could, try leaving the cover off next time it happens, the cool air helps with thermal break down, this is not a new problem, it plagued alot of early V fire electronic ignitions

There was a ignition switch recall/replace on mid 90's FLH's. The symptoms were just like switching off. It's kind of slim that your's didn't get replaced, and lasted this long, but maybe worth checking.

Thanx for the input..it did this once last year but that was it till recently..looks likei will replace the pickup and go from there after checking battery cables..
WAP.gif

Yes...my ignition was replaced and i also did check for loose connections and such but all seemed fine there.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back