free website stats program bike shutting down restarts but runs rough, | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

bike shutting down restarts but runs rough,

The 2001 model year was the last year for the Magneti Morellie EFI system. So the newest systems out there are already 14 years old. So for 14 years the pumps have been sitting in fuel, the o rings, rubber hoses and check valves have also been dealing with fuel. Fuel that in most cases contains 10% ethanol which
◾Dries out rubber components
◾Absorbs water
◾Lack of lubrication properties

Fuel injection relies on:
◾Clean fuel
◾Proper fuel pressure
◾Lubricated components

So fuel becomes contaminated by rust and pealing fuel tank liners and even bits and pieces of rubber components coming apart. That would be o-rings and the interior of the fuel supply lines. The fuel sock may let some smaller stuff into the pump and on occasion the fuel sock will disintegrate and large chunks of junk will get into the pump.

Clean the system by adding a 1/2 can of Seafoam into 5 fresh gallons of gas: it cleans very well and also lubricates. If you see some improvement, you know you are on the right track; rinse and repeat.

Then add a couple of ounces of MMO every couple of refills as a maintenance procedure to keep things clean and lubricated. Add some fuel stabilizer/conditioner like Star Tron after each ride.

Clean the IAC port as well and check fuel pressure to make sure the pump is delivering as it should.

You can wiggle wires, spray coil and wires with water, etc. until the cows come home but if the basic fuel delivery system is not working properly, you will not find the problem. JMHO.

load tested battery,,battery good! checked plug connections..good! yea' wondering about fuel filter/pump
Good deal, best to check the easy things first. I think your on track focusing on the filter and or pump. Good luck and let us know what you find.:s

MoCo recommends many things; some I pay attention to and some I don't. They do recommend replacing the fuel filter every 20K miles. IMHO, the fuel one uses, conditioners, etc. determine the actual change interval but the Mother Ship says every 20K miles.

have not checked fuel pump/filter yet,, still checking for wiring/short. did find fuse in fuse block melted,, lighting. not blown just one side of it melted, did find wire in front fender that tire had rubbed it down to bear wire,,maybe shorting? Not sure that could cause my problem???

have not checked fuel pump/filter yet,, still checking for wiring/short. did find fuse in fuse block melted,, lighting. not blown just one side of it melted, did find wire in front fender that tire had rubbed it down to bear wire,,maybe shorting? Not sure that could cause my problem???
That would more than likely be your front fender light wire. At worst the light would not work or you'd blow the fuse.

That would more than likely be your front fender light wire. At worst the light would not work or you'd blow the fuse.

not even blowing the fuse,,,just melted

not even blowing the fuse,,,just melted
I've always checked the easy things first, sometimes you get lucky. Your issue sure sounds fuel related and I'd be checking the filter and or pump if it were my scoot. BTW is your fender light working? if so tape up the wire and see if you can reroute so as not to rub.

I've always checked the easy things first, sometimes you get lucky. Your issue sure sounds fuel related and I'd be checking the filter and or pump if it were my scoot. BTW is your fender light working? if so tape up the wire and see if you can reroute so as not to rub.

Yea light working,,,think im ordering fuel pump and filter...just going to do it!! worst case il have new pump and filter...Harley wants 319.00 think I will get it from ebay!

Yea light working,,,think im ordering fuel pump and filter...just going to do it!! worst case il have new pump and filter...Harley wants 319.00 think I will get it from ebay!

Be careful what you wish for. Exhaust or back rests are one thing from eBay but fuel pump and associated hardware that you will need, may just be stabbing your self in the eye with eBay....:nosad

Penny wise and pound foolish.

Back