free website stats program bike shutting down restarts but runs rough, | Harley Davidson Forums

bike shutting down restarts but runs rough,

bear62

my 2001 H-D FLHTCUI Started cutting out at different times before, pull over restart and no prob till next time. now bike cuts out but when restarted it barley runs if u you throttle it backfires spits sputters acts like running on one cylinder, or just dies,,hard to restart after, but will after bit AND run fine for short time then does it again,, Sitting in drive way now and it starts right up and seems to run ok,,but will do it when I ride.... I'M STUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you checked the battery cables and load tested battery first??? Have you done any mods in the recent past???

May not be the same thing but I had an intermittent problem with my 2008 FLHT where the engine would cut out on the highway.

(Engine intermittently dies, no codes (this is very long winded)... - Harley Davidson Forums - HDTimeline.com)

It was fine for as long as 3500Km (2175mi) and then it would die. I had it to my dealer many times but they could not reproduce the problem. I took it to another dealer in town and they cleaned a lot of contacts and load tested the battery. When I got it back and did a trip, it did it back. I took it back and the dealer ended up talking right to the MoCo who advised replacing the Kill Switch. They did and I've had no problems after putting on another 38888Km (2416mi) in the last 2 weeks. My warranty expired today so hopefully it will stay that way.

I should note that a few people smarter than me on HDTimeline suggested replacing the Kill switch earlier on but I was looking to have H-D replace the part under warranty, not buy it myself.

Anyway hopefully you get it figured out quickly as it can be dangerous to have it happen.

FLHTrider08

I have checked cables even went over bike with it running moving wires,,sprayed coil and plug wires with water, have not load tested battery,,will try it. also have not checked kill switch other than jiggling it when it was running, same with ignition switch. thanks for input!!

As stated, load test battery. Make sure spark plug boots are fully seated and caps on the top of spark plugs are tight.

I'm on the same track as Jeff. Runs only at low rpm, starts after a while, etc. makes me think of restricted fuel. Could be clogged filter, hole in line, weak pump, or a clogged injector (last choice for me).

Plus 1 on the fuel issue. Sounds like crud in the filter or float bowl that blocks the main jet when and when pressure is off it moves until flow moves it back. Low idle is not the same orifice so not affected.

Clean the float bowl, change the filter and for good measure put in fresh gas and some Stabil to clean it all out.

Good luck

Back