free website stats program Bike Shutting down on Highway | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Shutting down on Highway

gltee_9

My bike keeps shutting down on the highway. It's a 99 FXD. If i turn it to off and right back to run it fires right back up and on I go. I replaced the switch which didn't do the trick. Any helpful hints? I looked over the wires and didn't see any bare wires or anything. Thanks

One thing I would check would be the wires to the coil. but could be the coil itself. what I would try is take a ohm meter arross the 2small coil wires, and with some type of heat source, heat the coil and watch the ohms. if the meter reads ol. that means your coil is bad. hope this helps

Are you loosing all power like the lights too when it shuts down or just the engine shutting off ?

My 04 did this and I replaced all the fuses and it has not done it again. None of the fuses looked blown but one of them was either blown or it was too corroded. They all showed signs of corrosion. Just a cheap thing to check and something that might should be done on one of that age.:s

I seem to remember a factory recall for that. (Might have been touring models). You can still check by VIN at the dealer.

I had the same thing happen on my 99 WG. It would shut off while driving no loss of power. Made it to the dealer cam postition censor was bad.

Back