free website stats program Bike Shuts Down When Warm | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Shuts Down When Warm

Hi Friends,
I have a 2001 Sporty 1200. It runs fine until I've ridden it a few miles. After it warms up to normal riding temperature it shuts down. I've been stranded twice - NO fun. Anyone have any ideas or have this problem before? Prior to this the bike had an electrical problem. After changing the battery, changing plugs and plug wires, cleaning grounds, I tested the electrical system with my multimeter. The system was not charging. Stator output was good, so I was able to isolate the problem to the voltage regulator. I changed the voltage regulator and it ran great for a few days. Now this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
SB

Does that model have a coil on it? if so try changing it. Just like the old cars with points and a coil, the coil would heat up-wires inside would expand, shut off untill cool- run a while and do it again. It's not only the heat from outside, but the electricity going through the coil causes heat.

Interesting OL,
I kinda half suspected the coil. I recently read how to test the resistance of the primary and secondary coils. I'll try that also.
Thanks,
SB

Even doing the resistance test wont tell you if there's an internal open wire. Unfortunatly the only way to really test it is to replace it and go for a ride and see if it repeats.

Even doing the resistance test wont tell you if there's an internal open wire. Unfortunatly the only way to really test it is to replace it and go for a ride and see if it repeats.

If there were an open in the internal wiring, the test would reveal an open circuit instead of a resistance value.

Hi
I just joined (first post) because I have an 03 with all the symtoms you are discussing here. I can add that it is intermittant. It even died when it got hot. Let it cool and started right up. When trying to start it when it was hot it backfired violently.Let it set over night and stated right up. I'm afraid to take her out til I find out the problem. No codes were shown.Like every other working american, can't afford to take it to the dealer. I need you help please. What did you find out?

O.K.,
I checked DTC codes. No codes were flashing. I checked the resistance in the primary and secondary ignition coils. They both were within the range prescribed in the shop manual. Anyone have any other ideas? Looks like BDOG has the exact same problem with his '03. I'd hate to start throwing parts at it without knowing what's going on. Sure would like to be riding.
Thanks,
SB

Back