free website stats program Bike shut down | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike shut down

Bosbury1

Just got back home... I was on the way to the gas station to fuel up (light on) and the bike just shut down. I pulled over to the side of the road it acts like a dead battery. does the bike shut down if the fuel gets too low. What steps can i take to get it going again?

Bosbury1
2007 Softail Deluxe

check the connections at the battery see if they are loose .. also check the fuses

Just got back home... I was on the way to the gas station to fuel up (light on) and the bike just shut down. I pulled over to the side of the road it acts like a dead battery. does the bike shut down if the fuel gets too low. What steps can i take to get it going again?

Bosbury1
2007 Softail Deluxe

Yes they will shut down when the fuel gets low -- as in EMPTY!!1LOL ha-ha!! Just messin' with ya!!! All jokes aside --- If you attempt to jump start / charge the battery DO NOT USE A VEHICLE to do so!!! Do you have any thing when you hit the start button??

Last edited:
Dead no juice at all. It had enough gas to make it to the gas station the light was on no more than five minutes.

running out of gas won't shut down your electrical. check you battery terminals and make sure they're tight, charge your battery completely then start your bike and put a multi meter on the battery and make sure your getting 13.2-14.0 volts while the bike is running.

Bosbury,

As WildSpirit said above, the gas will run out in spirts and backfires, not just die. I think the two issues are unrelated and just coincidental. The electrical problem should be pursued as that type of problem. If you have a VOM, check your voltage at the battery. If you have 12.5 volts there, then stuff like the battery connections, frame grounds, open circuit breakers, etc. are you investigation path. If the battery is dead or very low (say 9 vdc or less), either the battery is shot, the charging system is not working properly, or both.

Look in the Self Help forum section for some great starting points. Let us know what you find.

Electrical and Lighting Systems - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Last edited:
TSR for battery caddy

Hmm. OK. You might want to take a peek at the recall for up-grading the 40 amp breaker on those bikes it applies to, and decide if you want to do that. In the mean time, a new 40 should get you going. If it fries quickly, then there is something else wrong causing the breaker to go. That should be dealt with first rather then just upping the amperage on the breaker.

TQ

Back