free website stats program Bike sat for awhile :( | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike sat for awhile :(

Pipes17

Guys,

I have a custom softail that I put a brand new S&S 113 in in the fall of 2007. I rode it for only about 300 miles and in the winter 07 took the insurance off (due to buying a FLHX) and it has been in my heated garage since the winter of 07 (2 yrs) I have added fuel stabilizer to it both in dec 07 and winter 08. I fogged the carb as well in 08. I have started the bike up a few times here and there over last 2 yrs and it started and ran like a top. I changed out the oil again this fall 09 and fogged it again and ran it for awhile. I never changed out the fuel. I have kept a battery tender on it as well. As i said it has been in a controlled heated enviornment and has never seen anything less than 8 degrees Celcius....not bad for the great white north.

So if all the above is the case, what should I be doing prior to putting it back on the road this spring to ride in relation to keeping the mill healthy? I have done some reading on the MMO oil and fuel additive but need some advice from those that know....I never drained the carb float bowl shame on me! I am hoping it being a new mill with less than 300 miles, and the fact I did treat the fuel, and did fog the carb and did do the oil it should be okay without worry of piston ring issues, vavle issues etc.....thoughts?

Advice would be helpful...I am assuming the least I should do is change out the fuel asap, and maybe add an oil additive and another fuel additive and let it run for awhile asap?????

Moisture will find its way in all your fluids.Id be changing out everything,especialy on a bike as nice as you suggest.Id also include the brake fluid when I say everything.Probably be looking at a carb rebuild and a fuel filter as well.The carb will be critical in getting a 113" to run well.Also change out te plugs and air filter for good measure.

This may sound extreme but when you weight a couple of hundred dollar investment towards protecting whats probably a $15000 scoot, its short money.

I have done some reading on the MMO oil and fuel additive but need some advice from those that know....I never drained the carb float bowl shame on me! I am hoping it being a new mill with less than 300 miles, and the fact I did treat the fuel, and did fog the carb and did do the oil it should be okay without worry of piston ring issues, vavle issues etc.....thoughts?

If you are going to leave it dorment for awhile longer, Here's what I would do... Pull your spark plugs & shoot a tablespoon or two of Marvel mystery oil in each cylinder (with syringe) & reinstall the plugs. Then before you put it on the road, drain & replace that Gas. Even though you've treated it, It will only be combustible for so long. If you can also store it up on a lift. Maintain the battery, check everything out good, fire it up & enjoy... :D

Thanks all good advice, but do you really think a carb rebuild will be necessary since it was fogged and fuel treated? I ran it again today and it started without any problems, ran very well and had no issue with revs etc.....I let it warm to operating temperatures to help avoid condensation in the mill....I hope the carb will be good to go come spring....but I will certainly change ALL fluids come spring or maybe even sooner.....excellent idea! I will also put her up on the lift (the softail not the wife) for the rest of the winter and will try and find that MMO stuff....hard to find up here!!!!

Sounds like you took all the right precautions, I would just change all the fluids the bike should be ok, the only thing that you may have an issue with is the primary oil just soaking into the clutch plates which might be an issue with the clutch not releasing because they could be stuck together. Keep this posted to let us know how you do.

Back