free website stats program bike sat for 6 years... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

bike sat for 6 years...

SHE STARTED!!! Course, now gotta work on the clutch! It is FROZEN engaged. Did a hard adjustment with the cable adjust all the way in rotate center bolt till it touches. Back off 3/4 turn. Tighten nut without moving center. Back out cable till you can fit a nickle under the cable up by the clutch leaver... still wouldn't disengage!!! I think I have to take off the outer primary and take the clutch plates out and clean em up... ideas anyone?

Not trying to discourage you, but I think my first suspect would be the inner & outer ramps & pushrod. My theory is that sitting on the sidestand for 6 years these parts would be high and dry, allowing corrosion to set in. I think I'd try starting it in gear, putt around and see if it frees up. You'll want to look into that clutch anyway just to know how worn it is. I'm confident that more knowledge and experience will speak up on this and I'm curious what they think.

With the Derby cover off look at the pressure plate/spring plate for movement when pulling the clutch lever. Motor can be Off. If you see movement, which isn't much, the chances are the clutch plates are stuck together from rust or gummed up. As W.Bacon stated you may want to disassemble it anyway for inspection.
tourbox

One other thing is if you do take the clutch apart be careful of the 4 outer bolts that hold the pressure plate on when replacing them. The 4 stand offs they screw into in the inner clutch hub can break off if to much Torque is applied. Follow the manual.
tourbox

ok, so, umm... man i need the manual on this bike!!! Jacked her up, took off the outer primary and looked at the clutch, even backed off the nuts on the clutch with the springs... just couldn't pull the trigger and take any of them off... I just know it would go "SPROING!!!" When I would pull the clutch leaver the clutch wouldn't move evenly. one side would move out where the other side would just sit there... Anyhow, here are some pics...

Attachments

• 0903142323.jpg
    0903142323.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 0903142338.jpg
    0903142338.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 0903142349.jpg
    0903142349.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 0904140011.jpg
    0904140011.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 24
Now that the primary is off, get a can of carb or brake cleaner and spray into the clutch pack. If one section does move out a bit, start there. The old oil has formed lacquer between the plates. Rotate, spray, repeat & let sit if necessary.
Don't use too much force on your clutch lever, you may break the end off the cable. Patience.

It's pretty easy to remove the spring plate & pressure plate. Find a large washer a hole small enough for the adj. screw to go thru and the locking nut will butt up against. But large enough outside diameter to catch the edges of the hole in the spring plate. Now loosen the lock nut, remove center screw w/ lock nut. Place the washer behind the lock nut and replace the screw. Screw the adj. screw in a few turns then start to tighten the lock nut against the washer & plate. That will relieve the tension on the 3 nuts for the spring plate. Once loose, remove the 3 nuts, pull the spring off with the pressure plate & springs still attached. I usually use an old Valve spring collar for the washer.
Once the spring plate assym. is out you can pull the fiber & steel plates out of the hub. Clutch hub & all will stay in place. Remember the Order you take them out for replacement. You can then clean & re-assemble.
A manual will surely be needed.
tourbox

Back