free website stats program bike sat for 6 years... | Harley Davidson Forums

bike sat for 6 years...

So I've got my uncles 84 FXRP that's sat for 6 years. I need to get her running! Oil needs changed. Pulled the plugs already and poured 2ish oz of Marvel Mystery Oil right on in. It will have sat for one full week with the MMO in it when I change the oil. Got a few questions...

1). Should I pull the sump plug and drain the sump out as well? Is this going overboard?

2). How much Marvel Mystery Oil should I put in the oil tank with the oil I'm pouring in(Don't worry, I won't ask what the best oil is... been lurking... don't want flood gates to open! LOL!!)

3). Is 5th gear a good one to use when pushing the bike around in gear to get the oil flowing before firing it up? Which gear would be better?

4). After I drain my gas tank and refill it with non ethanol premium should I use seafoam with Marvel Mystery Oil or would that be redundant?

I love this bike and don't want to harm it during it's resurrection!

If bike has not been in the weather and kept in a dry and warm place, It appears that you have the bases covered. I would not push bike a round in 5th gear for fear of rear wheel not spinning and possibly dropping bike. If concerned about turning engine over before firing, why not disconnect fuel and ignition and crank with starter button but only for a bit. You do not want to overheat and burn starter up. Be sure once started though do not just let bike sit and idle. Be sure to ride bike slowly before hitting the road.

1). Should I pull the sump plug and drain the sump out as well? Is this going overboard? Evo's don't have a sump plug.

2). How much Marvel Mystery Oil should I put in the oil tank with the oil I'm pouring in(Don't worry, I won't ask what the best oil is... been lurking... don't want flood gates to open! LOL!!)
I don't think it's necessary, maybe later.

3). Is 5th gear a good one to use when pushing the bike around in gear to get the oil flowing before firing it up? Which gear would be better? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"
]With sparkplugs out (and grounded) 5th is easiest, get help, so you don't drop it.[/COLOR]

4). After I drain my gas tank and refill it with non ethanol premium should I use seafoam with Marvel Mystery Oil or would that be redundant? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"
] Wait until it gets running, then use ONE of the above, not both at the same time. Also look in the tank with a flashlight for rust, etc. Might be good to pull the petcock and make sure the screen is not clogged. [/COLOR]

I love this bike and don't want to harm it during it's resurrection![/QUOTE]
[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! I really hate seeing FXRP, chopped up.[/COLOR]

Last edited:
It's really no different than any other engine. I've cranked old engines over, I just change the oil, coolant (if it is liquid refrig cooled), check the plugs and peer inside the cylinder hole. Sometimes I load up my air gun up with tool oil and spray it in the cylinders. Makes a nice fine mist that is just enough, without overdoing it. A little trick of the trade I've learned.

Along with this, I would be more concerned with the aux fluids, like transmission lube, or in this case primary lube, hydraulics, etc. If those grenade on you, basically you are just left with an old engine.

I would also swap the brake fluid and check those lines. Last thing you need is a surprise of no brakes.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but I go thru this stuff when as needed when working on an old engine that hasn't been cranked in over a decade.

I went through this scenario with my fxr last winter and can only add a couple things. When you fire it up be prepared for some nasty top end noise for about 10-15 seconds, until oil starts pumping up there. I know your trying to get oil up there now by rotating the motor but it needs a good steady bath to quiet down. Also place oil pan under crankcase vent. Sitting so long the oil probably has sumped into crankcase and will blow out when you fire it up, at least mine did.
Great bike, your gonna love it even more when you get riding.

All good advice, if it we're me I'd change oil and add about a oz of MMO, drain old gas inspect tank and add new fuel with a oz or so of seafoam. As stated turn over with plugs out with MMO in the cylinders replace with new plugs. Change other fluids before riding is always a good thing.
Good luck.

All the above is good advice. Especially use the catch pan for the Vent for the sumping. You can do that while cranking with the pugs out. It could have quite a bit of oil in the crank case. Watch your oil light to make sure it goes out when cranking and at start up. You will also need to clean the carb., if you haven't already.
tourbox

Jeff Klarich,03HD883R, yes, got the fluids to change in the primary and tranny! Haven't checked the fluid on the brakes yet, but when loading/unloading the bike in the van the front brakes and rear seemed to work great but I will be checking them as well. And got me some plugs and a new air filter.
Breeze3at, well, guess I don't have to drain the sump then, HAHA! Also planning on pulling petcock as you have stated! Might as well while I'm draining the old gas anyhow. Going to keep most the stuff the same on this bike. A few fancy upgrades here or there like grips, floorboards, maybe a new wide seat for my (EDIT) LOL!!
tourbox, W.Bacon, THANKS for the oil pan tip! WILL USE!!!
Thank you everyone for the tips and advice!

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff Klarich,03HD883R, yes, got the fluids to change in the primary and tranny! Haven't checked the fluid on the brakes yet, but when loading/unloading the bike in the van the front brakes and rear seemed to work great but I will be checking them as well. And got me some plugs and a new air filter.
Breeze3at, well, guess I don't have to drain the sump then, HAHA! Also planning on pulling petcock as you have stated! Might as well while I'm draining the old gas anyhow. Going to keep most the stuff the same on this bike. A few fancy upgrades here or there like grips, floorboards, maybe a new wide seat for my fat ass! LOL!!
tourbox, W.Bacon, THANKS for the oil pan tip! WILL USE!!!
Thank you everyone for the tips and advice!
Good deal, let us know how it all works out. Good luck.:bigsmiley12:

Sounds awesome. I like starting old engines that haven't been started in decades. I just get really excited, like I'm expecting something to happen.

If they start first shot, I usually make a bee-line down to the nearest lotto dealer and buy a couple scratch offs. Hey, you never know.

Back