bike sat for 2 years,now clutch wont disenguage

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by firstfatboy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. firstfatboy

firstfatboy Member

This is killing me.My friends 1998 fatboy sat for 2 years.It was put away with no issues.we got it up and running,but the clutch wont disenguage.Everthing seems to move ok,there is fluid in the chain case.Is it possible a ball is stuck in the ramp???

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

The clutch plates may be stuck together, you might look at dis assembly and or replacing the clutch pack Have you tried the clutch adjustment link in the self help section?

3. firstfatboy

firstfatboy Member

I went through the adjustment proceedure...Its still locked up

4. SledDog

SledDog Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

As Jack says, the plates may be stuck. You may want to pull 'em to see what's going on.

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Is it the clutch or is the tranny locked in 2 gears(it can happen) How did you get it in neutral to start it?

6. blademan

blademan Active Member

Put the bike in high gear and rock it back and forth and if possible push it a ways. That may break the sticking clutches apart. It worked on my Father-In-Laws when I had to get his running after he passed on.

7. firstfatboy

firstfatboy Member

Well,I tried every "trick" to pop it free.I gave up,pulled the primary cover and pulled out the discs.first 2 came out,the rest were totally frozen.Thanks for all your advice

8. nascar7613

nascar7613 Active Member

Alot of times the primary case gets condensation inside and makes the clutch discs stick together. Best thing to do is replace them