free website stats program bike runs like it has no reserve fuel ! | Harley Davidson Forums

bike runs like it has no reserve fuel !

grendal

while riding when i run out of fuel and switch to reserve it acts like i have no fuel left in reserve , but on close examination i have about 3/4 gal of fuel left in tank,tank is clean ,petcock filter is clean,new fuel line,and gas is flowing to the carb. this is on a 1994 1200 xl sportster ! thanks for any idea and info !

I take it for granted when you say it's getting gas that's with the petcock in the reserve position. I'm wondering how it would run with a full tank and the petcock in the reserve position?

On my '94 FLSTC the original petcock was the diaphram type and after some years the rubber in the petcock broke down. I replaced it with a Pingle and have not had any problems.

Are you saying;
when you turn the valve to Reserve, You get NO fuel from the tank...

It would have to be in the valve... IF the tank has gas...

My 95 sportster, thinking I had the same tank gas valve you have. The only problem I had with it is ONCE , when I syphoned out gas for the mower,,, knocking off the tube that Kept the reserve gas from coming out on the regular valve on position... Yes I ran out...

it MIGHT be a clog in the LOWER part of the valve to tank hole when switched to RESERVE.

I would take off the line there, at the valve (fuel line) and put it on reserve and try a LITTLE compressed air to Blow Back and into the tank... IF you hear bubbling and air is moving in it, may be cleared. Keep the gas cap OFF when you do this...

That Has to be where the problem is....
If I remember correctly, on my 95 it is two separate holes going into the tank Regular one with a plastic hose to hold gas above and a Lower one to allow gas to flow after the top line ran out and switched to reserve.
I think the Valve only changes DIRECTION from one to the other and OFF.

So blowing it out may be the FIX...:D

signed....BUBBIE

My petcock has confused me for years. Then I just said froget the reserve I'm only going 80 miles anyway and started watching the odeometer and of course I have the most beautiful 2.4 gallon Sportster tank ever designed. The fact that I never got more that 2.2 gallons in it is another story.

I OFTEN Wonder WHY we give GOOD Advice and NEVER hear back from the ones WE try to Help.......?????????

Just WONDER.............:bigsmiley33:

signed....BUBBIE

Back