bike runs for 2 minutes then stops

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by tramp, May 1, 2013.

1. tramp

tramp Member

Hello, I have a 1993 flstn she starts fine but after a few minutes stops. If I try cranking she will not re-start until I turn off the ignition switch and then turn it back on and then she will run for a few minutes and stop again.Hope someone out there can help:(

2. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Do you still have power to lights etc. after it stops?

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

With the ignition on check with volt meter or test light at the coil for power, bet you have a break in the wire from the cam cover to the coil or a bad ignition switch

4. SledDog

SledDog Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

Are you getting fuel? Slow fuel flow could do this. A bad cam position sensor will also.

More info for the symptoms will help us help you.

5. tramp

tramp Member

Thanks, I will check these things out when I get home Friday

6. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Once the bike starts loosen the gas cap. It might not be venting properly.

7. tramp

tramp Member

Getting fuel, lights are fine. When bike stops if I do not turn ignition switch off there is no spark, once I turn ignition off and then back on everything is fine for about 2 minutes. Lights do not dim they stay bright when bike stops.

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Check the wiring coming out of the nose cone to the coil, is the wiring intact no signs of over heating, some times the pick up in the cone gets over heated and can cause a problem like this, you can also try removing the cover and get more air in there to verify this