free website stats program Bike quits but then fires right up...? | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike quits but then fires right up...?

lionsm53

Banned
When I was riding last week, I was at a red light stopped, bike was kinda hot, lot of city riding. I went to accelerate and the bike just died, but then started right up and I got going again, ran fine no stuttering or rough running.
Got to next red light and then it did it again.
It did not do it again after that.

Last summer once at a stop after being hot then too, as it was the other day it was going to die after being stopped, but I caught it in time and it did not die.

It has me wonderin'...I don't know if it has the older style of Idle Air Control in it or not, do you recall if the newer throttle body has it?

That's about the only thing I could think of off hand, is that I read that the IAC unit gets gummed up with oil at times..This is a Fly by Wire though with a PC-V....
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

When you say the bike was kinda hot do you know what temp. the engine was showing? There are many members here that will know which sensor might be causing this, but the more info you can provide will narrow the possibilities. Does it act like it is starving for gas? When you said you caught it in time to keep it running did you increase the throttle? I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you sort it out.

When I was riding last week, I was at a red light stopped, bike was kinda hot, lot of city riding. I went to accelerate and the bike just died, but then started right up and I got going again, ran fine no stuttering or rough running.
Got to next red light and then it did it again.
It did not do it again after that.

Last summer once at a stop after being hot then too, as it was the other day it was going to die after being stopped, but I caught it in time and it did not die.

It has me wonderin'...I don't know if it has the older style of Idle Air Control in it or not, do you recall if the newer throttle body has it?

That's about the only thing I could think of off hand, is that I read that the IAC unit gets gummed up with oil at times..This is a Fly by Wire though with a PC-V....
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Any warranty left? I would have the dealer check it out on there dime JMO

When you say the bike was kinda hot do you know what temp. the engine was showing? There are many members here that will know which sensor might be causing this, but the more info you can provide will narrow the possibilities. Does it act like it is starving for gas? When you said you caught it in time to keep it running did you increase the throttle? I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you sort it out.

Yes, it was in the 220+ range as I recall..
It did not act as though it was starving for gas.
I gave it a little throttle and clutch to get going and it died.

When I caught it last summer, I could tell that it was going to die and gave it more throttle that time and it did not die then..

A person on another site said something about taking his gas cap off for a couple minutes, thinking that his tank was over filled. I don't think that was my situation exactly though..
Yes, I do have warranty left..

When I caught it last summer, I could tell that it was going to die and gave it more throttle that time and it did not die then..

So this has only happened a couple of times in a year? Have you checked for any DTC's in stored historical codes?

So this has only happened a couple of times in a year? Have you checked for any DTC's in stored historical codes?

No, I haven't checked for codes yet...but it has happened 3 times in the past 3 months I'd say with 2 of those times being last weekend.

It seems like an IAC issue from the post that I read on the IAC's though...if that makes any sense..

No, I haven't checked for codes yet...but

No but's... check for them:)

IAC is idle speed only,,, not off idle fuel. The first thing I would check is fuel pump pressure. If <60psi, disable PC and see if problem remains.
Fuel pump pressure is a must. Too many things can cause low psi which will give you a flat spot off idle.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I haven't checked for codes yet...but
No but's... check for them:)

IAC is idle speed only,,, not off idle fuel. The first thing I would check is fuel pump pressure. If <60psi, disable PC and see if problem remains.
Fuel pump pressure is a must. Too many things can cause low psi which will give you a flat spot off idle.

Think Hoop has you on the right track here, sure sounds like a fuel problem

I would also suspect failure of auto throttle to compensate for going into parade mode since this only happens when very hot...unless you have that disabled. I can't remember what this is called in your owner's manual, perhaps someone here can give you the right reference to look it up.

At 220* the engine is not really that hot. My 05 manual shows 220*-230* as normal oporating temp.

Back