free website stats program Bike only runs with choke on??? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike only runs with choke on???

From what you have said it seems that you may have more than 1 problem
The brake cleaner slowing the engine when sprayed on the front manifold seal would tend to indicate that the seal is leaking
The no spray from the accelerator pump would indicate that either the pump channels are blocked or the diaphragm is leaking
There may be additional problems not yet identified
Modern fuels are not kind to plastic and rubber components in a carb if fuel is left for a long period in the carb without use it can evaporate and leave varnish which will block or partially block some of the channels in the carb
There are 2 possible solutions 1st is to do a complete rebuild of the carb using a full rebuild kit which should replace all the rubber parts and seals
Or replace the carb

Brian

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to order a complete rebuild kit from jp cycles today, should I also order different jets and needle or stick with what I have (#45 and #190 with adjustable needle)?
I spoke with the original owner and he said since the bike had the complete overhaul it's always needed to run with the choke (enricher) somewhat out! He also mentioned the motor was bored out but not sure to what size?
I know buying a new carb Is the fastest easiest way to fix the problem but want to tackle this myself even if it costs more! Thanks again for all the awesome help. The tank has a pintos high flow fuel petcock and I will also pull that and check the filter.
Terry

================================================

Meant to say tank has a pingle high flow fuel petcock.

================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
tourbox,

Still think the slow side has some crusties in it up inside the slow tube...

Carb cleaner spray just doesn't get it out like a Hot tank.

I agree with the partial blockage in the slow side. Dipping the carb. is the best way.When I use to help at my brothers shop we would use Yamaha Carb. cleaner.Strip the small parts out and place in the float bowl, then fill it up with the cleaner.Then submerge the body in a container.The Yamaha cleaner does a great job and won't hurt most plastic or rubber parts.And it is reusable a few times. We would then clean in parts washer and then clean that off with carb. cleaner.After that blow everything dry,and passages, with compressed air.

tourbox

I would think that the combination of a 190 main and a 45 slow jet should be more than adequate for your engine as i would expect to see a 185 or smaller main jet and a 45 slow jet in a 1340 cc big twin engine so there is something else wrong with the carb
As the bike did not perform correctly with the previous owner it may take some time and effort to work out where things have gone wrong

Personally i do not like the stock cv carb having had a few issues with them in the past mainly due to my local atmospheric conditions although they work ok in the 883 they tend to ice up in the larger engines when it is cold and wet

Brian

I would think that the combination of a 190 main and a 45 slow jet should be more than adequate for your engine as i would expect to see a 185 or smaller main jet and a 45 slow jet in a 1340 cc big twin engine so there is something else wrong with the carb
As the bike did not perform correctly with the previous owner it may take some time and effort to work out where things have gone wrong

Personally i do not like the stock cv carb having had a few issues with them in the past mainly due to my local atmospheric conditions although they work ok in the 883 they tend to ice up in the larger engines when it is cold and wet

Brian

Ok thanks Brian. Well I've narrowed it down to the accelerator pump (diaphragm, ports etc.) and an intake leak on the front manifold as the motor bogged down when brake cleaner was sprayed on it while running. Local shop guy said the reason it bogged down instead if racing is because the enricher/choke was out.
I'm going to order a carb rebuild kit and a Ez just needle. I will then tale your advice and order the 190 main and probably grab a 46 slow while I'm ordering the stuff.
Thanks
Terry Leo

The first thing to get sorted is the intake leak as it will be drawing in air and making the mixture weak so any other carb work to improve the situation would set you on the wrong track as it will be weakening the mixture till it is sorted

Brian

News update. The accelerator pump is fixed. Took carb and intake manifold apart tonight and cleaned the pump ports out and what do you know it works perfect. I was hoping the intake seals would look bad encouraging a leak but they actually looked really good.
Called Harley for parts and they don't have the carb rebuild kit in stock but do have all the intake and manifold seals. Going to pick them up tomorrow. Should I still order the kit even though I'll only use or for the gaskets and o rings. Drag specialties is $20 and genuine James is $40 I there that much of a quality difference?

Once you have the new gaskets in place you could try it out and see what happens if it does not run properly you may still need to rebuild the carb however as with the nature of modern fuels and the bike being 9 years old if you do not need the rebuild kit now you may need it soon
I keep a carb rebuild kit in my stock of spares and it will fit 2 of my bikes

Brian

News update. The accelerator pump is fixed. Took carb and intake manifold apart tonight and cleaned the pump ports out and what do you know it works perfect. I was hoping the intake seals would look bad encouraging a leak but they actually looked really good.
Called Harley for parts and they don't have the carb rebuild kit in stock but do have all the intake and manifold seals. Going to pick them up tomorrow. Should I still order the kit even though I'll only use or for the gaskets and o rings. Drag specialties is $20 and genuine James is $40 I there that much of a quality difference?

Genuine James = Made in the USA.
Drag = Chinese

As one of our past members use to say "your ride you decide".

Ordered a genuine James rebuild kit and #46 slow ##190 main jet that way I have everything I may need. Was wanting to change the aftermarket adjustable needle in the carb now to a stock needle but my Harley shop said can't get one???
Anyone know where I can get a factory main needle?
Do you guys grease the intake and carburetor gaskets before installing?
Terry

Back