free website stats program Bike Medical Insurance? | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Medical Insurance?

mrglide

A few years ago there was a motion in Congress to require health insurance companies to include medical payments for bike accidents in their policies. At least a few companies were starting to drop bike, parachuting, etc. accidents from their policies.

Anyone heard about this and what happened?

No not at all I have heard alot of scare tactics by insurance bompanys saying we are a high risk because we choose to ride murder cycles as they put it no offense intended I had Allstate drop me because I ride a Harley They called back 2 months later to sign me up again and asked if I still had the Harley Guess what that was the end of that My new agent again is calling me again I have allstate on my house but they wont cover my bike go figure

Sounds like someone trying to scare people in to this national health care thing.No insurance company cancels you because you ride. Unless you rack up a few to many tickets and otr DWI.

I am not trying to scare anyone or force anyone into anything. I was asking a question. I ride a Harley and do not want to wake up one day in the hospital and find out I have no health insurance. Without knowing me, or apparently anything about the subject, you seem to be making false assumptions.

Please read the following excerpt from an old (1995) article:

"A bipartisan bill to end health-care discrimination against motorcyclists and ATV enthusiasts has been introduced in the U.S. House.

Rep. Michael Burgess (R-Texas) and Rep. Ted Strickland (D-Ohio) introduced H.R. 2793--"The HIPAA Recreational Injury Technical Correction Act," which would bar health-care discrimination against those who take part in legal transportation and recreational activities such as motorcycling, ATV riding, snowmobiling, or horseback riding.

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Sen. Russ Feingold (D-Wis.) introduced similar legislation in the Senate: S. 577, "The HIPAA Recreational Injury Technical Correction Act."

On Aug. 21, 1996, President Clinton signed into law the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to prohibit employers from denying health care coverage based on a worker's pre-existing medical conditions or participation in legal activities, such as motorcycling.

Later, federal bureaucrats reversed the law, writing rules to allow health-insurance discrimination against motorcyclists and others who engage in legal activities like ATV riding, or horseback riding."

I doubt the HIPAA with this provision was passed into legislation for no reason. The part that concerns me is how 'bureaucrats' could reverse the law. That sounds a bit strange.

So, again I ask... does anyone know the status of this?

I am not trying to scare anyone or force anyone into anything. I was asking a question. I ride a Harley and do not want to wake up one day in the hospital and find out I have no health insurance. Without knowing me, or apparently anything about the subject, you seem to be making false assumptions.

Please read the following excerpt from an old (1995) article:

I doubt the HIPAA with this provision was passed into legislation for no reason. The part that concerns me is how 'bureaucrats' could reverse the law. That sounds a bit strange.

So, again I ask... does anyone know the status of this?

Yes I've heard of this. The topic was going around some of my ABATE buddies. I'll ask around and see what I can find out from those who know...
No scare worries here!

I doubt that this was regarding medical insurance. However, it is an exclusion for some LIFE insurance policies.

I was turned down for life insurance many years ago due to my riding a motorcycle, parachuting and riding bulls. Hmmmm....go figure!

I had insurance with a local company that stopped writing bike policies years back. Had to be placed with a different company by the agent.

Whoa, take a deep breath and relax. Noone's accusing YOU of using scare tactics. The way I read the posts, everyone's talking about insurance companies and/or political folks who shape policies. Personal attacks are highly frowned on here so you can smooth your tail feathers back down!

Whoa, take a deep breath and relax. Noone's accusing YOU of using scare tactics. The way I read the posts, everyone's talking about insurance companies and/or political folks who shape policies. Personal attacks are highly frowned on here so you can smooth your tail feathers back down!

Exactly correct. :s

Back