Bike Medical Insurance?

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by mrglide, Oct 28, 2009.

1. mrglide

mrglide Member

A few years ago there was a motion in Congress to require health insurance companies to include medical payments for bike accidents in their policies. At least a few companies were starting to drop bike, parachuting, etc. accidents from their policies.

Anyone heard about this and what happened?

1 person likes this.
  2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Scare tactics

3. mrglide

mrglide Member

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying no companies ever dropped some high risk medical coverage? Or, that I made this up?

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

No not at all I have heard alot of scare tactics by insurance bompanys saying we are a high risk because we choose to ride murder cycles as they put it no offense intended I had Allstate drop me because I ride a Harley They called back 2 months later to sign me up again and asked if I still had the Harley Guess what that was the end of that My new agent again is calling me again I have allstate on my house but they wont cover my bike go figure

5. mrglide

mrglide Member

I am not trying to scare anyone or force anyone into anything. I was asking a question. I ride a Harley and do not want to wake up one day in the hospital and find out I have no health insurance. Without knowing me, or apparently anything about the subject, you seem to be making false assumptions.

Please read the following excerpt from an old (1995) article:

I doubt the HIPAA with this provision was passed into legislation for no reason. The part that concerns me is how 'bureaucrats' could reverse the law. That sounds a bit strange.

So, again I ask... does anyone know the status of this?

6. nogoslim

nogoslim Active Member

Yes I've heard of this. The topic was going around some of my ABATE buddies. I'll ask around and see what I can find out from those who know...
    No scare worries here!

7. abselite

abselite Member

I doubt that this was regarding medical insurance. However, it is an exclusion for some LIFE insurance policies.

I was turned down for life insurance many years ago due to my riding a motorcycle, parachuting and riding bulls. Hmmmm....go figure!

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

I had insurance with a local company that stopped writing bike policies years back. Had to be placed with a different company by the agent.

9. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Whoa, take a deep breath and relax. Noone's accusing YOU of using scare tactics. The way I read the posts, everyone's talking about insurance companies and/or political folks who shape policies. Personal attacks are highly frowned on here so you can smooth your tail feathers back down!

10. glider

glider Veteran Member

Exactly correct. :s