free website stats program Bike loses all power | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike loses all power

kedoba

I have a '93 FLHS and twice this week when I went to start it in the morning it just clicked and everything went dead, lights and all. I worked the bar switch and the main power switch several times and after starting to move the bike the power came back. Sometimes when the bike does start, the starter hesitates when I hit the switch, almost like a dead spot. Once this summer it didn't charge and the battery has been checked twice this year and has 350 cranking amps. These two may be related or maybe not. Obviously there is a short somewhere. Is it more likely to be one of the switches or worse yet a bare wire somewhere to hunt down?:unsure

I have to agree with Steve. Check the most common things first, it is a lot cheaper and most likely you will find your problem. Get yourself a vom meter and do wiggle tests with the volt meter installed.
kemo

I have a '93 FLHS and twice this week when I went to start it in the morning it just clicked and everything went dead, lights and all. I worked the bar switch and the main power switch several times and after starting to move the bike the power came back. Sometimes when the bike does start, the starter hesitates when I hit the switch, almost like a dead spot. Once this summer it didn't charge and the battery has been checked twice this year and has 350 cranking amps. These two may be related or maybe not. Obviously there is a short somewhere. Is it more likely to be one of the switches or worse yet a bare wire somewhere to hunt down?:unsure

It is pretty common for the switch on the tank to get worn. If you put it in the on position with the lights on(not running). Jiggle the switch, do you loose lights?

FLHS models had a recall on the ignition switch, has yours ever been replaced?

I was going to say a bad ignition switch, my 1988 Classic had a bad one and sometimes it would break contact and the bike would go completely dead, scary when you're in traffic. I've replaced it and the problem went away, it was a big job on a Dresser.

My '91 Dyna used to have this symptom. I thought initially it was a flat spot on the starter. Eventually, I figured out it was the kill switch on the bars. Disassembled the switch, cleaned out the white and green corrosion by-products, cleaned it well with electronic parts cleaner spray, lubed it with some spray lubricant and reassembled. Done!

TQ

Not sure if it applies to this bike but there has to be a small relay for the starter switch . I examined mine and found the contact severley pitted. After replacing the relay, no more starter delays.
Battery cables are cheap, it wouldnt hurt to replace them

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a few things to check now and it's not given me any problems since this initially happened. Thanks for the info on the recall, Jack. I am not aware if this was ever done but will check into it.

Back