free website stats program Bike loses all electrical power? | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike loses all electrical power?

NYHarley

My friend has a 2006 Sportster 1200, and the other day we were out for a ride, stopped to fuel up and when he switched his bike back on there was nothing. No fuel pump, no odometer, nothing just dead. We checked all the fuses and connectors, made sure the batt cables were on tight, but nothing worked. All of a sudden the bike came back to life and everything was working. When we stopped again the same thing happened and we went through the same procedure. Anyone have this kind of thing happen?

The batt terminals looked ok, but there was some corrosion on the relays. I told him to clean it all up and look for any broken / loose wires. I was just curious to know if there was anything specific.

Don't go by "looks" they may look great and still not make connection enough to crank the bike.

always clean the bat connections before lookin further ,idk if an 06 is the same but my old 91 had a similar problem but would cut out wile running too. i chased afew things till it happend at night and noticed the lights were cuttin out too . no power coming out of a circuit breaker ( under the seat ) i carried an extra ever sinse lol

Check your ignition key. If your battery connections are tight this could be the problem. Sometimes you have to jiggle the key a little.

Welcome Rojuco to HDTimeline, home of many HD riders, do it yourselfers and enthusiasts sharing their experiences and helping to make the V-twin experience a positive one. There are plenty of Self Help tips and Search tabs near the top of the page to help you find subject matters of interest.

BTW...your avatar looks...eh... "Marvel-ous" :D

Back