free website stats program Bike lifts | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike lifts

Come on R_W_B.. If you won the lottery, you would take your Harley to the dealership and sip coffee in the waiting room until it was fixed.
Or better yet, just TRADE IT IN for one that works!:D

That is a fair assumption, albeit it's said that I have a better chance of getting shark bit at the beach so it's very doubtful I will ever know.

Once in a company crew truck we were joking about what we would do if we won the 20 million pot at that time. I joking said I would buy everyone in the truck a new Chevy Siverado. They all laughed like yea right, you would do that for us. I said well fellas think about it, what is an old redneck like me gonna do with 20 million dollars anyhow.

I mean even after I bought a nice new house for both my kids and gave them and all my immediate family members $150,000 each spending money, I still would not even have started on the 20 million.

This one young kid sat up close in the back said, "Dave I want a Red one."

That's cool, I feel confident I got the most bang for my buck and my bike sits on it just fine. So we are both confident.

Bang for the buck is a great thing if quality is the same.:s I prefer to be safe instead of looking for a cheaper part to do the job. Being in the business for many years, the cheaper parts usually always end up being the most expensive choice to make when they expire prematurely and you have to do the job over again.

Yea he knows that, since he works doing Engineer ratio calculations for a living. It was meant to prove a point. It has been said that "any" engineer can design a bridge that won''t fall down. It takes a great engineer to design a cost effective bridge that won't fall down under design conditions.

Anyhow good exhange.
In any event, he didn't prove a thing to me other than he likes to take chances.:D

I prefer to be on the safe side and not have to repair a bike after the lift lets go. All the bucks you saved just went right out the window plus some extras too. :s Replacement Harley parts don't come cheap.

There's an old saying that keeps coming up from time to time....

"Penny wise and pound foolish" which I think fits this scenario rather well myself.:s

Don't spend the money so fast R_W_B. If I won 20 million, I would take "lump sum" which gets your prize reduced to 10 million. Then 3.8 million will go to the Feds for more mahogany desks. That leaves 6.2 and the Old Lady has her hand out for 1/2 so that leaves me 3. Alimony & child support is gonna cost me 1/2 of that so now I have 1.5 million left. Subtract all the tickets I bought to finally win the lucky one and I have maybe $1 million left. Now pay all the attorney bills and I am back where I started.

But if you WIN, I want a Red one also!!

Well if I won the lottery I would buy the dealership, not just get my bike serviced there. One thing about the Pitbull it does use a Chineese bottle jack. I have been to Daytona where they detail the bikes and guess what, they were using Pitbulls. I guess that they don't mind paying for a quality built lift when they have a customers $20000 bike up in the air.
Ken

Well if I won the lottery I would buy the dealership, not just get my bike serviced there. One thing about the Pitbull it does use a Chineese bottle jack. I have been to Daytona where they detail the bikes and guess what, they were using Pitbulls. I guess that they don't mind paying for a quality built lift when they have a customers $20000 bike up in the air.
Ken

Funny you should say that Ken :lolrolling

I would get in touch with Pit Bull about the jack too.

One thing about the Pitbull it does use a Chineese bottle jack.

So does the J&S. I don't think there is a U.S. bottle jack manufacture around any longer. Lincoln, Wagner, Black Hawk have all gone to cheap cast import cylinders and gland nuts. Especially in the 10 ton and less marketplace. Leather ram cups are a thing of the past.

12021d1324661741-bike_lifts-caronsearsmodlift.jpg

OK Dave

You got me thinking about this post now...

The car in the picture is a Honda which weighs around 4,000 lbs. if it's a Honda Pilot and less if it is a CRV. Looking into this a bit deeper, that weight is biased in the front end with the weight of the engine / transmission and differential. In the rear you only have a differential.

Let's say that the weight differential conservatively for argument sake may be in the area of 65% front end with the engine / transmission and differential and that would leave the balance of the 4,000 LBS of the total vehicle weight or 35% in the rear. Now according to the picture, there is only one side or wheel lifted off the ground which cuts the total of the rear weight in half again. That sounds a lot to me like 1/2 of 1400 LBS (35%) or 700 LBS which if I'm not mistaken is about 1/2 of what most of these jacks are rated at.:naughty

Pictures can be very misleading.:D

Last edited:
12021d1324661741-bike_lifts-caronsearsmodlift.jpg

OK Dave

You got me thinking about this post now...

The car in the picture is a Honda which weighs around 4,000 lbs. if it's a Honda Pilot and less if it is a CRV. Looking into this a bit deeper, that weight is biased in the front end with the weight of the engine / transmission and differential. In the rear you only have a differential.

Let's say that the weight differential conservatively for argument sake may be in the area of 65% front end with the engine / transmission and differential and that would leave the balance of the 4,000 LBS of the total vehicle weight or 35% in the rear. Now according to the picture, there is only one side or wheel lifted off the ground which cuts the total of the rear weight in half again. That sounds a lot to me like 1/2 of 1400 LBS (35%) or 700 LBS which if I'm not mistaken is about 1/2 of what most of these jacks are rated at.:naughty

Pictures can be very misleading.:D

Once you get over center, lifting is much easier:s

Bang for the buck is a great thing if quality is the same.:s I prefer to be safe instead of looking for a cheaper part to do the job. Being in the business for many years, the cheaper parts usually always end up being the most expensive choice to make when they expire prematurely and you have to do the job over again.

Whoa after reading that I was so concerned I ran out to the garage to make sure my H.F. lift had not failed. Thankfully the bike is still on it unharmed along with thousands of others around the country that bought the same as me.

In any event, he didn't prove a thing to me other than he likes to take chances.:D

I prefer to be on the safe side and not have to repair a bike after the lift lets go. All the bucks you saved just went right out the window plus some extras too. :s Replacement Harley parts don't come cheap.

There's an old saying that keeps coming up from time to time....

"Penny wise and pound foolish" which I think fits this scenario rather well myself.:s

AGAIN I don't feel I (or the other thousands like me) am (are) foolish. If you feel that way then I guess that's YOUR opinion. I personally cannot afford to buy the J&S or the Pit Bull but I get by being PRUDENT, not foolish thank you. The Pit Bull and J&S are great lifts if you have the money, you will never have no arguement from me there. But don't call me foolish just because I cannot afford them and still use another product that WORKS.

Don't spend the money so fast R_W_B. If I won 20 million, I would take "lump sum" which gets your prize reduced to 10 million. Then 3.8 million will go to the Feds for more mahogany desks. That leaves 6.2 and the Old Lady has her hand out for 1/2 so that leaves me 3. Alimony & child support is gonna cost me 1/2 of that so now I have 1.5 million left. Subtract all the tickets I bought to finally win the lucky one and I have maybe $1 million left. Now pay all the attorney bills and I am back where I started. But if you WIN, I want a Red one also!!

I don't have no alimony and the kids are grown, so if I win you can have your red one. I'll buy Glider a Gold one. LOL

Ken

You'd be surprised what is made "where ever". Buy what you can or what you will. It's a free country (so far). Our own environmental and lawsuit rules have run much of jobs overseas but that's another story.

Once you get over center, lifting is much easier:s

Yes that is true especially since I cannot tell for sure if the front wheel is off the ground and at this point I don't care enough to ask him. I won't never use my H.F. to lift my car, nor was he taking much of a chance doing it. The worst that could have happened is the jack failed and his car came down. He could have bought another lift and did the mod and still be spent less than the Pit Bull.

I think I will go have some of my CHEAP Tequila, I'm sure you guys will go pour your Crown Royal. But us foolish, chancy guys must make do with other. Oh and BTW no hard feelings on my part, I have my choices and you have yours, just the way it is. Now where is that cheap bottle of stuff anyhow.
Merry Christmas to everybody.

Oh and BTW no hard feelings on my part, I have my choices and you have yours, just the way it is. Now where is that cheap bottle of stuff anyhow.
Merry Christmas to everybody.

No hard feelings here either RWB. It's just that I like what I like and I never have been one to settle for less.

Sometimes I come across in a different manner but I try to save others the learning curve that I have been through already. Some like to learn for themselves and others will analyze and take a different approach is all I'm saying if the facts are presented in an orderly way.

Merry Christmas bud!:D

Back