free website stats program Bike Lifts | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Lifts

NEWHD74FAN

Experienced Member
Retired Moderators
Sears $180 or Harbor Freight $100 yellow ones work well and at a reasonable cost (they both go on sale at typically $30 less)...

DSCN0825-1.jpg

As for Ignition coil checking, you might try the using an inexpensive DMM and do some ohmmeter check, the coils with respect to each other is about 0.5 ohms & 5 ohms approx. (primary & secondary coils respectively), and infinity (high resistance) with respect to chassis ground. Then try draining the primary and smelling the fluid...you do not need a lift for this. If you want to change the primary fluid, you can pull the cover (not just the derby cover) and inspect for evidence of burning, discolored fluid if good, it is pale gold amber (clean) not dark brown.

Last edited:
Re: Burnt smell trying to start bike

If you're getting the burnt smell at starting I would trend to think more, starter or bad ground.
And speaking of bike lifts I have to say, you get what you pay for and a lift is no place to skimp, a good one will last you a life time and make life a lot easier:)

Hey thanks, I hope you are right. If I do the stator, I will also replace the reg. Actually, what I really need is a good bike lift. Getting to old to roll around on the floor.

Sears hs one on sale for their 3 day sale this weekend.

I replaced the starter about a year ago with an All Balls 1.4. I hope its not the starter, it was a (EDIT) to get out. I am going to assume it was the battery going to the big store in the sky. I have a small bike lift it just seems to be in the way most of the time with placement and straps. I was thinking about the table version. Bad back, bad knees and can't spell:D

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Here's the one I have, it has been great, it cost me about $550.00 and they thru in the black jack for free, don't pay the list, call and talk to the sales person, they will deal. Also I have used high out put starters, they can go bad just as easily as a stock one, I have went back to stock Harley starter and had better luck in some cases, we all know about the edit, edit, softail starter R&R.

Motorcycle Pro Cycle Lift With Tire Vise - motorcycle lift, motorcycle stand, motorcycle wheel chock, motorcycle lift table, hydraulic lift motorcycle, motorcycle rear stands, motorcycle

Here's the one I have, it has been great, it cost me about $550.00 and they thru in the black jack for free, don't pay the list, call and talk to the sales person, they will deal. Also I have used high out put starters, they can go bad just as easily as a stock one, I have went back to stock Harley starter and had better luck in some cases, we all know about the edit, edit, softail starter R&R.

Motorcycle Pro Cycle Lift With Tire Vise - motorcycle lift, motorcycle stand, motorcycle wheel chock, motorcycle lift table, hydraulic lift motorcycle, motorcycle rear stands, motorcycle

That looks like a nice lift but what if you need the wheels to spin?

That looks like a nice lift but what if you need the wheels to spin?
That's where the black jack comes in Adamal, just put the center jack under the bike, the fronts secure in the vise and lift the rear up safely then spin away on the rear wheel or you can strap the rear down and loosen the vise then lift the front no problem or you can use two center jacks or a wood block with one center jack and have both wheels up if needed, if you want to look under the frame just raise the lift more, the best part is you do it all while you're standing straight up, then, nothing I like better then working while sitting in my very comfortable overstuffed office chair, it even has wheels so I never have to get up to get a tool. I'm getting old and sometimes it's nice to be able to nap between bolts:)

I got the jack and its great but I'm building a lift from the steel crate my bike was shipped in. Great plans on the net if you're handy with a mig.

Back