free website stats program Bike Lift | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Lift

not for sure yet maybe sears or the red one can't remember the brand .

No matter which lift you get be sure to get a set of of the plastic frame rails so that you don't damage the shocks.

DO NOT get a craftsman.... i have had 2 lifts, one for my car and one for the bike stop working...save your money..

No matter which lift you get be sure to get a set of of the plastic frame rails so that you don't damage the shocks.

It's not really necessary to get the plastic frame rails. They are a nuisance to put on and take off. I posted pictures of my Pitbull lift with 2 layers of rubber supplied by Pitbull applied to the back lift arm and 1 layer on the front arm. That equals 1/4" in back and 1/8" in front. With this no need to use plastic frame rails which I threw away. It works perfectly and you don't need to worry about strapping the bike down. It's scary at first but with use it becomes simple. Don't get a cheap jack for a $20k bike. Search the archives and you will find the pictures.

You can't go wrong with the PitBull. It is a service facility quality jack and will last you for as long as you own bikes. My wife and I bought two of them about ten years ago and have never had a problem. They are also great for winter storage of your bike - Gets the rubber off the concrete and you can roll them around anywhere you want.

I stand my bikes up and slide the lift under the frame from the left side! Just make sure the lift your LQQKING at will work with your frame rails under your Motor!

I bought one of my lifts from Harbor Freight along with a roll around stool with a tool tray...been using this lift for 7 years and no problems! One thing I never do is try and roll the stand around with my bike on the lift!

The other thing to check before you drop the bike back down is.....'THE KICK STAND IS DOWN " And your right hand on the right handlebar....left hand on the seat....down she goes...then I use my right foot to slide the lift out while the bike is standing upright!

The lift is great for cleaning, doing primary chain and clutch adjustments, and pulling the F & R Wheels off for tire replacment and wire wheel truing and cleaning !

I got my PittBull lift today. There is no comparison to any other lift out there.. Solid and built to last. For $400 it was well worth it. My last lift from Canadian Tire is now in the garbage.

I always leave side stand down and put jack in on right side. On my Heritage if the front jack leg is even with rear edge of floor board it clears the shocks and keeps all 3 drain holes exposed.

I also use the lock on the jack when bike on jack for more than a couple of hours.

Bowhiker,

Funny you ask this. Just yesterday the Harley shop here gave me a live demonstation of using a lift. I have the Harbor freight variety and the shop had a similar design. The tech slid the jack under the right side of the bike and then stood the bike up straight and continued putting the jack under it. Once he had the jack positioned he raised it up..no problemo!

I do think that if you do this it may not be a bad idea to have a helping hand the first time around until you get the maneuver down. The staps are put on once the bike is on the jack. Good luck!

I always leave side stand down and put jack in on right side. On my Heritage if the front jack leg is even with rear edge of floor board it clears the shocks and keeps all 3 drain holes exposed.

I also use the lock on the jack when bike on jack for more than a couple of hours.
Thanks Harvey. I also have a Heritage and this is the kind of information I like to see here. Specific info that another rider can use. I will see if aligning the jack just behind the rear side of the floorboards is the place for me too. My problem is I dont use the jack very often and it seems each time I do, I have to relearn how and where to place the jack.

Someone else here suggested we all use a paint stick or simular marker to mark the bottom frame rails as to jack location - another great idea from folks on this Forum.

Thanks again
Bill

Last edited:
Back