free website stats program Bike Lift | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Lift

BOWHIKER

I'm considering getting a bike lift for my soft tail , sure would be easier to do service and cleaning with one . I was wondering that when you roll the jack under the bike do I need the stand it up straight before jacking it up ? It looks to me as if it would level out on it's own as the jack started going up but having never used one before wasn't sure . I'd hate like you know what to tip it over , my wife would never let me hear the end of it if I did that . then after it's up is when you strap it so it won't fall correct .

I'm considering getting a bike lift for my soft tail , sure would be easier to do service and cleaning with one . I was wondering that when you roll the jack under the bike do I need the stand it up straight before jacking it up ? It looks to me as if it would level out on it's own as the jack started going up but having never used one before wasn't sure . I'd hate like you know what to tip it over , my wife would never let me hear the end of it if I did that . then after it's up is when you strap it so it won't fall correct .

Do you have any particular lift in mind ?

BOWHIKER; you're going to get quite a few posts on this & might want to look at glider's thread on jacks/lifts. I'm going to recommend the J&S jack (J&S Jacks - Motorcycle Lift, Motorcycle Jack, Wheel Chock, Oil Pan Adapter - USA Made, Wisconsin) b/c it's one of the highly touted on any forum (along w/PitBull). Main reason to look into one of these "spendier" jacks is the design...low to the ground (fits under w/o blocking), stable (good quality metal) and controlled raise/lowering (no need to hold bike).

Believe me...you won't be disappointed w/the J&S - make it a gift to yourself (and your bike)...;)

I always hold the bike upright and keep checking that the jack is in a good place as it goes up justn to ensure the frame is properly supported

Brian

I must stand all of my bikes straight up to get the lift under the far side of the frame. Even if I didn't, I would still hold it upright just to make sure it was level. As often as I use my jack, I only go until it's just supported, then go and look at the far side to make sure the lift rails are far enough through.

I've had the PitBull lift for 2 years and can't say enough good things about it. I got the Dyna model, so it works on both the Dyna and Ultra. This thing works like a champ, does not require you to tie down the bike, and lifts to 26". It makes working and cleaning the bike much easier.

BOWHIKER; you're going to get quite a few posts on this & might want to look at glider's thread on jacks/lifts. I'm going to recommend the J&S jack (J&S Jacks - Motorcycle Lift, Motorcycle Jack, Wheel Chock, Oil Pan Adapter - USA Made, Wisconsin) b/c it's one of the highly touted on any forum (along w/PitBull). Main reason to look into one of these "spendier" jacks is the design...low to the ground (fits under w/o blocking), stable (good quality metal) and controlled raise/lowering (no need to hold bike).

Believe me...you won't be disappointed w/the J&S - make it a gift to yourself (and your bike)...;)

+1 I really like my J&S.

I have the craftsman red jack. I hold my 04 RoadKing straight when I slide the jack under. I have to put the shovelhead rear tire on a 2X6, so the jack will slide under it.

I will never recommend the RED Sears jack to anyone again. There are tons of dissapointed people with it(my brother whom I suggested it to is one). Seems a large percentage of the bottlejacks go bad and sears has no fix.

It's cheap because it's cheap.

J&S Jack. I have one and love it. It will lift the bike while it is on the jiffy stand and put it right back down on it also. Check out there web site and look at the video clip.

Back