free website stats program bike lift | Harley Davidson Forums

bike lift

sprinklerfitter669

this might sound stupid to some,
but is it necessary to store a bike up on a lift for the winter months?
i heard different opinions elsewhere on this, and wanted to see some opinions, one being you dont want the wheels to sit on the same pot on concrete for a long time..

i heard different opinions elsewhere on this, and wanted to see some opinions, one being you dont want the wheels to sit on the same pot on concrete for a long time..

No lifts in my garage - YET! What I do for my 2 is --- A good thick piece of pad & carpet down on the floor then park the bikes on top of that. Every once in awhile go out and move them forward , backwards and a complete turn around! I know it sounds like a lot of work, but , it gets me out in the garage with my bikes!

It's said to be the proper way to store your bike for the winter but in my 47 years of rideing I have never done it and have never had any problems and can't say I've met anybody that does it. But if you can it would be good, myself I can't let a bike sit longer then 30 days no matter what the weather.

i heard different opinions elsewhere on this, and wanted to see some opinions, one being you don't want the wheels to sit on the same pot on concrete for a long time..

In the old days of rubber only tires and nylon/textile cords deterioration and flat spotting was more likely, so many would take precautions to elevate bike off the floor or park on plywood sheets or carpet. These days with rubber/synthetic compounds with more durable cord synthetic and steel materials "flat spotting" and rubber deterioration from just contact on one point on concrete is not nearly as detrimental. That said, the alternative to park on wood or carpet remnants is sufficient. Some do put their bikes on a lift during winter hibernation, but it is a probably as much convenience and the fact they are more available, then traditional or old fashion habits.

Oh, BTW coming from the metric side, I purposely put bike on center stand option, park bike up, most of the weight off the wheels, and if weight needed off the front wheel, put a bowling ball w/ extra weight on the tail rack...voila...done! Made more room around both sides of the bike as well.

Last edited:
I don't keep my RK on the stand because we might have a quake and I don't know where my bike would end up. Plus, I ride it at least once a week so I don't notice any tire problems. It's tough for you guys living east of the rockies. I agree with the previous reader. There are always days you can ride when its cold out and the sun is out and the snow plows have cleared the roads. Get out there and ride! (the goofballs on the golf courses will notice as you putt by)...

You might need some "Gerbings" though!

I live in Texas so I am blessed to be able to ride year around, but I use a lift that I got the plans from Nightrider when I service the bike. I think it would be a great low cost alternative to store a bike on. Just make sure to center the bike on the lift to take the weight off both wheels.

$20 Bike Lift

My bike never sits for more than a week. Even in Washington state we get some dry days to ride in the winter. My bike never sees wet roads. If I had to store it for the winter, I would find some way to bring it in the house and park it in my living room. Of course you guys with wives might have some problem there, hahhahahah.

I would get a bike lift from Harbor Freight (see other posts) for $80, then you can get it off the ground and also move it around easily when it is stored in the garage.

Had the 05 Sportster sitting on rubber mat to keep tires off concrete. Now have the 09 SG on same mat w/wheels sitting on two cheap rugs (Menards/$2.50ea) b/c it helps w/dist & static. Will have the bike lifted on J&S jack when weather warms so it's more mobile (mine hibernates fm Nov-Mar).

IMO, if space isn't an issue, just go w/the cheap rugs/carpet samples under each tire & you'll be fine, but lifts are gr8 for maint.

I don't keep my RK on the stand because we might have a quake and I don't know where my bike would end up. Plus, I ride it at least once a week so I don't notice any tire problems. It's tough for you guys living east of the rockies. I agree with the previous reader. There are always days you can ride when its cold out and the sun is out and the snow plows have cleared the roads. Get out there and ride! (the goofballs on the golf courses will notice as you putt by)...

You might need some "Gerbings" though!

Wow LJM, immediately thought about your post after the 6.7 quake up north, yesterday...! Never considered the stability angle of using a bike lift and earthquakes :bigsmiley6:

Back