Bike lift horror stories!

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by doctordoug, Feb 24, 2011.

1. doctordoug

doctordoug Account Removed

Come on and let us know the worst thing that has happened when you were using your lift or jack. Has it changed your mind about ever using one again? I have a Pitbull with no problems but we all love to see and hear about problems and what can be done to avoid them. Include pictures of the pitiful mess if you have any.:nosad

2. Lucy

Lucy Active Member

Mine is so not terrible. My husband put it on the lift so I could clean her, etc. The next day I wanted to take her for a ride. I put the lift down, straddled the seat, and realized there wasn't enough room for my feet on the lift, and I couldn't reach the floor. Ugh!! No ride until my husband came home. She has NEVER been back on the lift. I'll sit on the cold, concrete garage floor to clean her before she will go back on the lift! :newsmile01:

3. karlsbike

karlsbike Active Member

Once I had her on the lift, parts just started falling off;)
    Frame06.jpg

4. BOBFLHTC

BOBFLHTC Active Member

I had it on the lift and had let it down slightly to rest on the safety stop. When I went to raise it to get it off the safety it didn't budge. I had to use another jack and with the help of my step son drop it 2 feet. Fortunately no damage was done. Since then I've been reluctant to use it - Bob

5. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

I've seen this before. I think it has something to do with the amount of catalogs being in close proximity to your easyboy recliner. I don't think it's isolated to any one region, but it does seem to esculate in the winter months. There is no known cure.:D

6. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Was servicing front brakes while on lift and did not loosen caliper pins with bike on floor. Guess who almost ended up under 800 pounds of Harley. Should have had the straps tighter......

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

I had a 1980 FLH @ a dealer ship for some work, it fell off the hoist when it mal functioned, wrecking the right side of the bike. They wanted me to pay for the repairs:p

8. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

The dealer wanted you to pay for the repairs to their hoist because your bike broke it ? :p

Brian

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

LOL, no they wanted me to pay for the damage to my bike, it got pretty ugly, I used some strong language with the service manager, they wanted to put on after market parts to boot

10. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I have never had any bike at any dealers for anything but once or twice car dealers have tried to stitch me up over something you just have to be on your guard
    i currently use local ford dealer i fix their computer systems and know all the staff it does help

Brian