free website stats program Bike keeps shutting down after warming up riding!!!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike keeps shutting down after warming up riding!!!!!

I couldn't agree more here. Best $60 you can spend. I buy the manual with every bike I have ever bought.

I borrowed a manual from a friend and thought the troubleshooting section was kind of slim. Maybe I missed a section.

Another guy told me he liked his Klimer manual better than the Harley Manual. Any thoughts?

This is a hard to diagnose problem. If it were a matter of turning a few pages and testing a few things, the bike would be fixed. I appreciate all the help on this website and trust that the contributors have a wealth of knowledge, but just reading the two threads you can see how many different opinions there are. My geuss is that any of them could be right.

I borrowed a manual from a friend and thought the troubleshooting section was kind of slim. Maybe I missed a section.

Another guy told me he liked his Klimer manual better than the Harley Manual. Any thoughts?

This is a hard to diagnose problem. If it were a matter of turning a few pages and testing a few things, the bike would be fixed. I appreciate all the help on this website and trust that the contributors have a wealth of knowledge, but just reading the two threads you can see how many different opinions there are. My geuss is that any of them could be right.

Get the HD one, a few bucks more but worth it. The Climer manual is very vague.

Thanks for the reply`s and I am als picking up the books this week. I will keep ya all posted on the fix hopefully for this weekend so we can get out of the heat.

Rev Flash

I would carry a multi-meter and the wiring diagram with me when riding. as soon as the bike shuts down, I would trace all the connection points, connectors, switches and relays that could cause the open circuit. non chronical problems are hard to diagnose if there is lack of experience. the only way to locate the reason is to wait for the next shut down. good luck with your fix.

If you can afford it, buy the relevent parts manual also.These show line drawings of all parts of the frame and motor.They're a valuable workshop tool.Particularly if you pull things apart and then forget the sequence.

Plus they come in real handy when you want to order spare parts off your dealer or on e bay etc.

Hey there everyone. Well the Harley gods must of been with me today. Got the electrical problem fixed. It was a $12.00 relay in front of the back tire. I never thought to check there for a relay. Anyway I want to thank you all for the help. The things I replaced like the wiring harness and the regulator were worth it anyway now I have chrome switches and a chrome regulator so a little more shiny parts. I also even put on a sweet oil cooler which is also chrome and man it works good, I was out riding in 103 degrees today and it purred like a kittn and ran much cooler. Hope everyone is out enjoying the day. Ride safe.

Rev Flash
:yahoo:rider

Try taking some wd40 and spraying the intake manifold at the head while running, if the bike dies you have an intake leak. Also spray the body of the carb if it is carbeurated you mayy find a leak there also. Sounds like an intake leak, when it gets warm things expand and you have a leak.
Mitch

My issue turned out to be a mis-matched coil and ignition. The guy who had the bike before me had added a 3 ohm ignition and a 5 ohm coil. It was a bear of a problem to diagnose, but all is finally well.

I had the same problem. At first I was going to replace the wiring harness, but found out it was 400 plus. Check the bat cables and check all of the connections for corrosion. You will figure it out.

Back