free website stats program Bike just died | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike just died

Roadmax1

Yesterday on my way home my 2005 EG just shut off. Instruments and lights stayed on however, just the motor died. A few weeks back I installed new chrome switch housings and thought it may be that I pinched off one of the wires. However, after removing and inspecting them I couldn't find anything. I also noticed since then that I had a crackle in the speakers. Not always, but intermittent. Looking at the fuses I saw that the ignition fuse was blown. I put a new one in and when turning the ignition switch to run the fuse blew again, even tough I did not depress the starter switch. Checked the cables around the battery but nothing there. Interestingly, even with the blown fuse in the box when turning the ignition switch you can hear a sizzle and even feel it in the cable trunk going to the fuse box. I've never had this problem before and welcome any suggestions.

Thanks a bunch,

Roadmax1

Sounds like a shorted/grounded wire somewhere. You have to follow that circuit and see where it is grounded. Start by looking at the neck of the bike where the harnesses are, good possibility there could be something there.

The factory manual has the diagrams for the wiring in the back.

If you're comfortable taking the outer fairing off (if you can do switch housings, I assume that's cake for you?), you might want to do that and check some of the wires there. I've seen chafing occur occasionally under there that cause symptoms like that. Just look for wires (especially the ignition switch wires, larger than others and RED) that are up against something, pull it back and make sure it hasn't rubbed through there?

I had a Road Glide customer (I know, different bike, but same concept) with a bike with under 1000 miles and his oil light was always on. Took off the housing that is around the handlebar base, and found the wiring bundle had worn against something and shorted that wire. If it had been another (more important) wire, something more serious could have gone wrong.

Thanks to both of you. I did find a chaffed wire behind the fairing and also one of the switch housing wires was cought between the clutch lever clamp. Hopefully that was it. Bike is running again.
Roadmax1

They Had A Recall On The Ign. Switches Your Dealer Should Be Able To Enter Your Vin. And Find Out If Your Bike Was Part Of It

Back