free website stats program Bike jumped out of gear when I hit rear brake. | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike jumped out of gear when I hit rear brake.

robertc

It's happened twice so far.
First time I just thought it was a fluke, but it happened again. While in gear, I used the back brake and It seemed as if the brake lever wouldn't travel fully. As if it was locked and unresponsive until I pushed harder and then the bike jumped out of gear. Being that it happened twice I thought I better ask if anyone has any ideas as to why, or what to look at. What does the rear brake have to do with the bike jumping out of gear. I'm not for sure but I would guess that I was braking at about 25-30mph 2nd gear around 2500 RPM's or so. hmmmm?

One more bit of info I forgot to mention.
I do have ABS brakes. I always use front brake first and then rear brake with emphases on front brake. It happened both times on rear brake that it seemed to not respond until I stomp on it and then the bike jumped out of gear. It rides like normal after you put it back in gear.

Last edited:
Might want to check the motor mounts and links too. If you hit the brake and the trans changed, there could be too much movement in the engine/trans.

It happened to me on my 09 RK w/ABS too. I thought it was a fluke or that I just imagined it. Will just have to see if it happens again. I also notice a large difference in my front brake lever too. Seems to have just started recently. Fluid levels look OK. I attributed it to maybe a bubble working itself up to the brake cylinder.

The ABS is so complicated, I bought the extended warranty. I don't see a connection to the tranny though.

It has happened to me also. Seems like it was during a quick stop and I may not have gotten the clutch all the way in before I got the brakes clamped down good.

Does anybody have extended shifter levers on these bikes and or larger shifter pegs that could account for a heavier weight on the shift pedal?

Just thinking out loud here.

My shift and brake "levers" are stock. Only changed foot pads which are also Harley parts and do not interfere with travel. The fact that others with ABS have experienced this "as well" makes me want to post on the thread regarding the downside to ABS.

Might want to check the motor mounts and links too. If you hit the brake and the trans changed, there could be too much movement in the engine/trans.

I did see a thread where concern was expressed about the engine mounts. The quick visual check that was suggested, and I have adopted, is to look at the gap between the engine filter and the voltage regulator, should be about a 1/2". The guy that posted the thread smashed the oil filter as it was rubbing.

No gap = dodgy engine mounts

Had that happen once on my non ABS 06 RKC. Began paying attention and what I had done was this: as I depressed the rear brake pedal with my right foot, I began to lift my left foot to place on the ground..my left foot did not completely clear the shift lever and slightly bumped it, causing it to jump outta gear..thought something was wrong with my bike until I realized it was operator error. Not saying this is your issue, but jsut a thought

I have thought about that as well. We do things so automatically sometimes that we don't pay to much attention to what we are actually doing. Braking and downshifting become second nature. That may be what I did that caused the bike to jump out of gear. Possible +1 for operator error but that doesn't explain the rear brake from feeling as if it was stuck until I pounced on it.
I remember reading something regarding sensors for the ABS, I believe it has something to do with wheel speed. I wonder if it could be something that the ABS senses that keeps the rear brake from actuating. A bad sensor? It will be interesting to see how many more people have experienced this phenomenon. In my situation it happened both times at fairly slow speeds and in second gear I think? maybe third.

Back