free website stats program Bike is running hot. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike is running hot.

I talked with my Redline rep. after quizzing him on the oil temperature I had on the 2006 1200 sport R... always under 200* running 20/50 Redline full synthetic.

I was never over 200* even after a run in Az. 95* day... He said I would NOT need the oil cooler on my bike.. He would prefer the oil to run Hotter than it was showing in my sporty... He said that the oil should get Hot enough to cook out the moisture that accumalates in the engine... Too Cool of oil Is Not such a good thing..

I know of a few bikes that have built-up Crud in the Upper side oil tank(sludge) over a long time from moisture Not boiling off... That is something that caused me NOT to install the Jagg on the sporty After buying it... Now I have the Jagg for my 09 FLHR that Needs All the Help it can get in the Cooling process...

Hey there Bubbie, you are right that the little older bikes do seem to run a little cooler, go figure. I am not so sure that I agree with you 100% about letting your oil get so hot that it burns water and other contams. After a certain temp the poil looses its lubricating properties as well. If I see oil temp creep up to 250, then I am a little concerned with what is happening, especially on a smaller engine.

It is like you read my mind, the Jagg is the cooler that I have been considering, the cool thing about the particular cooler that I am looking at is that there is a manual thermostat to where you can adjust for on those cooler days, cold oil is not good for an engine either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not so sure that I agree with you 100% about letting your oil get so hot that it burns water and other contams. .

Bubbie is absolutely correct on this. The sweet spot for oil temp is around the 210-220 mark. Running your oil temp in the 190's is too cool and will almost guarantee you engine sludge. There is a big difference between what oil temperatures should be in a GEARBOX vs a CRANKCASE. Crankcase oil gets the heck beat out of it from blow-by past the rings. Some Unburned fuel will ALWAYS be present after combustion and some will get into the crankcase oil. Until you change the oil, heat and PVC is all you have to protect you.

Bubbie is absolutely correct on this. The sweet spot for oil temp is around the 210-220 mark. Running your oil temp in the 190's is too cool and will almost guarantee you engine sludge. There is a big difference between what oil temperatures should be in a GEARBOX vs a CRANKCASE. Crankcase oil gets the heck beat out of it from blow-by past the rings. Some Unburned fuel will ALWAYS be present after combustion and some will get into the crankcase oil. Until you change the oil, heat and PVC is all you have to protect you.

I would not be concerned with an oil temp at 220*. I would be concerned at about 230-and up. I have spoken to a lot of indy shops and they all say the same thing. If you see that oil creep near 250, there is a problem. Please remember that I have a new top end, so your bike should run a little cooler. Once there is a few more miles on it, then I would expect the temp to rise.

I use two ways. One is the cylinder temp "data field" using a SEST. That data field tells you the front cylinder temp only. It is a great way to record temp while riding the bike, then come back and down load the data to the laptop and play it out.

The other of course is using an infra-red temp gun. A hand held gun you point at an object to measure temp. If you go this route, there are right and wrong ways to use those guns. Read the directions, understand their limitations and learn how to use them properly. Also the low cost entry level guns are,, well so so.

There are more accurate ways of doing it, but they require attaching a thermocouple to the cylinder.

But a quality Pyro will work well when used properly.

Actually a heat infared scaner/tester at Harbor Freight was about $30...just point and measure. Worth the price of admission expecially with the 20% Off coupon and free LED flashlight! :s

This may sound like a dumb question, but are there any specific sounds a bike will make when it is overheating?

I ride in phx in 115 degree weather all the time, and my bike def feels hot! But she seems to ride fine.
Haha one day, my pants actually caught on fire from the pipes. But I had been pacing at 100mph for about 75 miles, so I'm sure at that point they were hotter than usual.

Either that or the howling and screaming at the top of your lungs from the "--pants on fire scenario"...LOL:newsmile017:

it will sounds like marbles in the barrels (pinging/pinking) pre detonation as the fuel ignites before normal spark due to the imergance of hot spots in side the combustion chamber - a bike or cars death rattle :(

also a sign of bad timing, bad fuel and a badly tuned engine

ok cool, I dont believe I've heard the pinging, but I'll keep an ear out, as the weather here is brutally hot!

Either that or the howling and screaming at the top of your lungs from the "--pants on fire scenario"...LOL:newsmile017:

haha luckilly I was wearing boots so I didn't get burned... If it was a normal day and I was wearing vans, I'd have a good scar to show for it!

Attachments

• 34856_139619916050855_100000085434525_365865_4961890_n.jpg
    34856_139619916050855_100000085434525_365865_4961890_n.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 15
ok cool, I dont believe I've heard the pinging, but I'll keep an ear out, as the weather here is brutally hot!

haha luckilly I was wearing boots so I didn't get burned... If it was a normal day and I was wearing vans, I'd have a good scar to show for it!

Did that happen with the heat shields on?? I have a question on measuring head temp. My DMM (multi meter) came with a thermocouple, and I have used it several times with repeatable results. The meter was only $60, how accurate to you think it is? I checked the wires and they seem to be two different types and joined together without a third metel being introduced. This is the way we made thermocouples in the olden days.

This may sound like a dumb question, but are there any specific sounds a bike will make when it is overheating?

I ride in phx in 115 degree weather all the time, and my bike def feels hot! But she seems to ride fine.
Haha one day, my pants actually caught on fire from the pipes. But I had been pacing at 100mph for about 75 miles, so I'm sure at that point they were hotter than usual.

I would think you DO or Should use a good full synthetic oil at those high temps.

Maybe tell us what you use.?

I like the redline products and use the shockproof heavy gear oil in the tranny... 75W250 now that will stay a lube at the High temps.

signed....BUBBIE

Did that happen with the heat shields on??

No, I have taken my heatshields off and my pipes are wrapped.

I would think you DO or Should use a good full synthetic oil at those high temps.

Maybe tell us what you use.?

I like the redline products and use the shockproof heavy gear oil in the tranny... 75W250 now that will stay a lube at the High temps.

signed....BUBBIE
I know the previous owner used synthetic oil,
but I dont know what type... I'm actually about to do my 10k service myself
(first time I've ever done it, so I'll def be using the resources here on this great site!)

you like redline products? any advice on which are the best?

Back