free website stats program Bike Is Parked For Now!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Is Parked For Now!!

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Just rode to the Radio Shack for an Ipod aux cord and noticed more gas stations than normal OUT of gas. Bought my goodies and proceeded to cruise for 30 minutes on all the main roads looking for gas - NOTHING! Odometer range function got down to 40 miles to go so I headed for the garage. That's where the bike will stay until this craziness is over! Beautiful weekend too. :(

This is north metro Atlanta - not sure if this is going on nationwide. Sure hope not.

Caveat: Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.

I heard the supply pipeline from the Gulf Coast to ATL was shut down due to Ike. It has since resumed operations but at reduced capacity. Will take a couple (more?) weeks to return to full capacity.

Makes you want to move out of Georgia with all of the problems here. Haven't found any gas yet where I live. Where Ike came through in Texas, you can buy all of the gas you want at 361 per gallon!! Go figure

Haven't seen any problem in the north Texas area. Could be the pipelines to that part of the country were damaged, and/or the terminals there did not have sufficient supplies to last.

The EPA issue could be part of the problem as well. Just before Ike hit, there were considerable problems in the Houston area getting gas. According to news reports, the refiners could ship in fuel by truck but they had to get a special waiver from the EPA to bring in fuel from outside the Houston area because of the special blends required for air quality issues.

Filled up my wife's Hyundai at a Quik Trip a few hours ago. They still had premium but I made the mistake of not having a 5 gallon container to get it home to my bike. By the time we did our grocery shopping and I was able to get back there, they were out of everything!

Not sure I believe it but the manager said they have NO idea when the trucks are coming. He claims they show up unannounced, 24/7. Last delivery only had 800 gallons of premium so it dried up quick.

Amazing that this is all from the two pipelines being shut down for 3 days - almost 3 weeks ago! :newsmile038:

Hey Doc ..know what? another observations i've noticed....the sale of premium and mid grade gasolines have not sold well for a very long time...specially the mid grade ...lots of places I've been the mid grade and regular was the same price so I ask the attendant ..why?..she said that can't even give away the mid grades and the premium fuels are stock piling coz todays cars and pick up can run on 87 percent stuff...only the faster cars and motorcycles use the high grade..so what better way to get rid of all the mid and premium fuel than create a shortage of reg. unleaded...kinda makes yah think huh?...lol:s

Hey Doc ..know what? another observations i've noticed....the sale of premium and mid grade gasolines have not sold well for a very long time...specially the mid grade ...lots of places I've been the mid grade and regular was the same price so I ask the attendant ..why?..she said that can't even give away the mid grades and the premium fuels are stock piling coz todays cars and pick up can run on 87 percent stuff...only the faster cars and motorcycles use the high grade..so what better way to get rid of all the mid and premium fuel than create a shortage of reg. unleaded...kinda makes yah think huh?...lol:s

I can see where mid octane is kind of a dying dinosaur (of course all gas is, ha ha, get it?) but there's plenty of yuppie DINK's (are those still OK to use) where I live driving expensive cars that take premium.

As to your last statement, I try not to think about too many economic, religious, political or philosophical topics for too long - gives me a splitting headache! I stick to sports and motorcycles.

I haul haz-mat stuff now, but used to haul gas.

Mid-grade is 2/3'rd regular & 1/3 premium. on 1000gals--667 reg & 333 premium. Partly it's not so much the availability of getting the gas, it's getting the additives. My company does clean-up & maint work at a lot of tank farms, heard too many times that they can get the gas deliveries, but not the additives. Virtually all gas being sold comes out of the same pipeline, it's the additives that make the diff in $$$ from the mom&pop's to the BP's & Shell's. Tracy

I haul haz-mat stuff now, but used to haul gas.

Mid-grade is 2/3'rd regular & 1/3 premium. on 1000gals--667 reg & 333 premium. Partly it's not so much the availability of getting the gas, it's getting the additives. My company does clean-up & maint work at a lot of tank farms, heard too many times that they can get the gas deliveries, but not the additives. Virtually all gas being sold comes out of the same pipeline, it's the additives that make the diff in $$$ from the mom&pop's to the BP's & Shell's. Tracy

Hey! great info and thanks for posting...

Not to hijack---- but I see a lot of stations here in Greensboro have reg but not mid-grade or premium.

Is there a gas additive that can be used to pump up the octane if by chance all I can find is reg? I know the old street racers used to use the "104 octane boost" but don't know if it's safe for my stock Sporty. Tracy

Back