free website stats program Bike is 1 day old and near disaster averted??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike is 1 day old and near disaster averted???

I'm sure it was just a mis communication being you didn't mention anything about the socket being used.

No harm , no foul.:s

Everyone bringing a new bike home should take 10 or 15 minutes to check EVERY bolt, cap, snap, etc. they can get their fingers on. Maybe the "Critical Fasteners" check should be moved from the 1,000 mile service to a new 10 mile service!!

On day 6 of my new 2008 Road King Classic, the aft shifter linkage spherical head bolt (the one into the xsmn) fell out. In traffic. I hand threaded it back in and tightened it when I got home. So I'd have to concur with the Critical Fastener check.

Midwing

Wasn't accusing you of fabrication.Perhaps some exaggeration but not lying.I see a lot of brand new bikes and it is indeed rare to see what you've described.Not unheard of but rare.

Sounds like a good reason for checking out a new bike and not 'assuming' all is good. I know I've had to tighten multiple things on mine (exhaust bolts, hand grip bolts, etc.) that seem to have come loose.

About the Mobil 1 V-twin and Spectro fluid, are these carried at the local dealer or is there a better place to order them (like a site sponsor)?

Mobil One V Twin should be widely available. Spectro not so much but worth the search in my opinion!

Wasn't accusing you of fabrication.Perhaps some exaggeration but not lying.I see a lot of brand new bikes and it is indeed rare to see what you've described.Not unheard of but rare.

Please explain to me what "exaggeration" I have done in my post!! I simply posted my experiance here so that others could possibly avoid a simular incident.

I think this has be defined above in post #11 that a socket and extension was used on the drain bolt and found to turn before attaching the ratchet. No mysteries here at all. :D

irpete,

thanx for the post and the tip. Just goes to show we can not
take all for granted. Just like others here have said "take the
time to check things out before you hit the road".

ride safe and enjoy you new ride

Back