free website stats program Bike Insurance | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Insurance

For years I was with Progressive however I found out that the CEO was making large donations to an anti- christian organization. So I decided to shop around and Allstate gave me more coverage and add ons for way less money.
WAP.gif
Good for you! Make a statement with your $$$ and take it elsewhere!

I want to pass this on to everyone. Last week my local newspaper had an article where many motorcycle rider were going to get a check back from their insurance companies because unbeknownst to them they were being charged the full purchase price of their backs instead of the depreciated value of the bike. In other words, one fellow paid $20,000. for his bike when he bought it in '03 the bike is currently worth $11,000 but he was still paying on the $20k original price!! He complained to the Attorney General here in Massachusetts and they looked into it. Turns out his insurance company wasn't the only one. There were six more and they are still continuing there investigation. It's something that we need to look into.

Wow!! $27 a month..
We pay through the behind up here. Try $1,500 with 200 deductable and 1,000,000 third party liability! We are also forced to pay the bulk of the $ during the 5 Summer months. No choice in different insurance companies. Plus our riding season tops out @ 7-8 months...Oh what upgrades I could do with the extra cash.
You are lucky!!

Whatever insurance you choose, I recommend you read this article written by attorney Tom McGrath. Some interesting (and surprising) tips on how to best protect yourself.

Biker eNews: Protection for You and Your Rider

This provides some excellent information about policy limits and how they may not be enough. I would caution, however, about some of the information about being able to use the underinsured motorist coverage on your other vehicles. That would depend on the state you live in. Some states allow what Mr. McGrath mentions about using the policies on your other vehicles, which is known in the industry as "stacking". Other states do not.

If you only carry the state minimum limits of liability, you are really taking a large risk with your on financial future.

Another item that really affects the price is medical coverage! Get something that also protects the rider.

Was content with current insurance until reading this thread. Decided to make some calls to get additional quotes and several are lower than what I'm currently paying. We'll see what happens, but I think I stumbled upon some extra riding money. Thanks to all!

Well mainly I was just hoping to get different companies to shop around with. I have a ins freind for years and others have told me also that the best deals you will get is to switch every 3-5 years. After that time your just another number and already have all the discounts you can get so your rates are subject to increase. I hate all insurances, but they do serve thier purposes. The whole Insurance market needs a total overahaul.... Thanks for all the info and suggestions!!!!!!!!!! I will be making some calls

Definitely shop around. I was a State Farm customer for over 25 years... since I first got a driver's license. Their customer service the last couple years has really gotten lousy, and the rates kept going up. I started shopping, and ended up switching everything over to Farm Bureau. They are not a huge company, but they are big in the midwest. I'm saving a couple hundred bucks a year, and have lower deductibles. Couldn't believe it, the bike policy dropped from $260/yr down to $130. :D They also offered me a stated value policy on my old truck so I don't need to carry an additional classic-car policy on it.

Back