free website stats program Bike dying out | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike dying out

misplaced

Howdy everybody this is my first time on this site so here goes.
Here is my problem. While I was cruising down the road the other day my bike started to die out then come back hard to the point I had to hold on for dear life.. I would look down at my tack and it looked like a basket ball bouncing back and forth. As soon as I could find an exit was off the bike and checked all the usual spots I have problems with, coil wires, ignition, ect... The bike would run fine then after a mile or two it would start up again. This went on for about twenty miles then after I stopped for about the third of so time it dawnd on me to look at the battery that I looked at and checked before I left. That is where the problem was it was my battery tender plug (negative side) trying to weld itself to my positive post. I know that was one of first places I should have looked to. Ok problem solved so I thought. The bike still cuts out and after a few more stops made it home. The Bike is charging at 14.5 volts. I swapped out my voltage regulator. and had my battery load tested. Now it runs fine till it gets good and warm about five or so miles. then it has a miss with a backfire comes right back after one miss. this happened twice so that was the end of my test ride. It's a 86-94 FXRS with a 124 S&S with a smart ignition. Thanks

Well you replaced the regulator so here's hoping it didn't melt something in your stator. I would also be leary of the battery still. That's a long time to have that many amps pumping thru it. Even though it may load test ok that one time, there may be plate damage inside that is intermittent for now but will soon get worse. Vibration from riding also affects batteries.

That's why I took the battery tender plug setup off my bike (it came used with it on there). The battery cover was starting to wear thru the insulation on the tender cables. I just took it off. If I use a tender I'll take the cover off, it don't take that long.

If you never changed the main breaker, I would do it now. They had a bunch of breakers that trip out too easily.

If you never changed the main breaker, I would do it now. They had a bunch of breakers that trip out too easily.

Thanks RWB and glider for the comeback. You are very right about the battery and being leary, I'm leary about the entire charging system after that. The breaker is the cheapest and the next step. After all It doesn't do it till it warms up. I could be anything in line of the battery. I even had somebody suggest a coil. Thanks

If the breaker wasn't your problem then you might want to look at the wires on the sides of your coil - they come lose and will do exactly what you described as far as the tach going crazy - fxr's are know to do this - I have a lot of friends as well as myself that have had this problem - it's an easy fix if that is what is wrong -FXR

Back