free website stats program bike dies once in awhile | Harley Davidson Forums

bike dies once in awhile

36meterz

ride 2003 flhtc 95" kit vance & hines true duals had to replace starter with bigger one . on the way back home on vaction bike died twice pulled over to side of rode bike started both times. hav'nt had the problem in over a month and saturday it didit again . this time all it would dois click. cheched terminals were fine. next mourning bike fired wright up checked battery stator seems to be ok

You shouldn't have had to replace the starter for the 93 inch kit. How old is your battery? Did you put a voltmeter on the battery while running and get at least 14 volts. Did the battery get load tested? Go to the self help section of this forum and see the good suggestions on how to check for this problem. Fossil

Solenoid shouldn't cause a dying issue, but it would cause a starting issue.

My money is on the battery terminals, did you REMOVE and clean them or just visualize them? They sound like the problem unless your battery is dying from old age. Like mentioned above , only way to tell is a load test. Check the electrical section using the link below.

My 08 up and dies while riding! Just happened again last week on a day trip i was on. I don't know about the 03, but I've heard som say the lean over sensor could be bad, it shuts the bike off when you go down! HD rep is supposed to be looking at it on Wed, as the stealer has no clue, what else is new????

ride 2003 flhtc 95" kit vance & hines true duals had to replace starter with bigger one . on the way back home on vaction bike died twice pulled over to side of rode bike started both times. hav'nt had the problem in over a month and saturday it didit again . this time all it would dois click. cheched terminals were fine. next mourning bike fired wright up checked battery stator seems to be ok

I may be all wet coz I certainly don't have the expertise as most here do...just kinda what I've learned since I started riding...and I know Glider can help with this....but seems like the 03's were having a fuse problem are something like a fuse ....was a recall ...it will cause a bike to die special when it gets hot ..was traveling with friend to Lyburg Tenn. a couple years back and it happen to our friend twice...one dealer we stopped at took care of it....so check the recalls for 03's....Good Luck

I believe you are referring to the main breaker above. It was increased from 40 amps to 50 amps. They get tired from age and also the heat effects them where they are mounted too.

Totally off subject, but I sent you a PM the day you offered that concealment vest for sale asking for a paypal invoice (and offering to make the invoice a couple bucks higher so I'd cover the paypal fees for you) so I could pay you, and another PM a few days later with the same request when I didn't get a response to the first one....I'm afraid you may have missed them somehow...can you let me know if we have a deal?
Thanks!
Richard

Hi Richard, I responded with my address but never heard back. Sorry, it's sold. The XL was kind of large anyway, so I picked up a Large, which I have never worn and still has the tags on it. Someone else is interested in the Large, but haven't heard back from them. They have my my PP account. The Large is available if interested and I will send you my PP account via PM. Whoever pays it first can have it.

My 08 up and dies while riding! Just happened again last week on a day trip i was on. I don't know about the 03, but I've heard som say the lean over sensor could be bad, it shuts the bike off when you go down! HD rep is supposed to be looking at it on Wed, as the stealer has no clue, what else is new????

I have a friend with an 07 RKC had the same problem. After many trips to the stealer and visits with factory reps, It was a combination of faulty wiring to the handlebar kill switch and a bad switch itself. It took a long time for them to find it, you might mention it to them if it hasn't been brought up already.
Good Luck!
Dave

The loser stealer here won't take the time to just "look" at something like that. Bike has to exhibit the problem first or be dead and towed in. I'm done with these clowns and HD has left a bad taste in my mouth. I now have to travel to another dealer and if their as bad as the locals, HD has serious issues on their hands, then I'm done with HD forever. To damn many other good bikes out there to deal with an overhyped and overpriced so called American made bike.

Last edited:
Back