Bike Died

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by fatboyca02, Apr 20, 2013.

  1. fatboyca02

    fatboyca02 New Member

    i have a 2002 fatboy flstf it was runing fine then went it was idling it just went dead no lights at all except the spedo and no starter does anyone have an idea what could have happened
  2. Jack Klarich

    Jack Klarich Guest

    re: Bike Died

    Welcome to The Forum, First thing to check would be the battery, connections clean and tight and load tested, check the wiring at the starter solenoid for clean and tight connection. When you get it running have a look here
  3. gunnut

    gunnut Junior Member

    mine did that,at 70mph only no lights or anything at all.coasted to a stop and got recovered to the dealer.turned out my regulator fried.hope yours is just such a simple and cheap(ish) fix.
  4. Slo-Ryd

    Slo-Ryd Junior Member Contributor

    May be an ignition switch issue. My 03 will light the speeso background only when in the accessory position. You can remove the dash panel and check for power at the terminals on the ignition switch with a test light or multi meter if you're handy and comfortable doing so. Also set your run switch to on and hold in the starter button as you rotate the ignition switch through the various positions and see if you get a kickover in between positions. This may help isolate a switch problem vs. something else. Oh, and make sure it's in neutral !!
  5. SoonerSoftail

    SoonerSoftail Active Member

    Check the ignition switch. Last Friday on the way to work my 05 Heritage would die for a fraction of a second then come back to normal. It did this a few times. The last couple I was going slow enough to really watch what was going on. It was completely losing electrical. As I pulled in to the parking lot it died for good. Figured it was my still original 05 HD battery. Ran and picked up new battery. Still dead. Pulled the dash and found the connector at the ignition switch melted. Switch is good, just the plastic of the connector melted and the plastic had made it's way in between the contact points. Got it apart. Cleaned the contact tabs of the switch. Soldered and heat-shrinked the wires to the connectors. All is good.
  6. Dr. Dolittle

    Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

    Wow, you were really pushing your luck with an 8 year old battery! Glad you found your problem, though.