free website stats program Bike Cuts out?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Cuts out??

Hatzo1

Ok,
Ill start off with what is onthe bike. It is a 08 FXD with AN Big Sucker, Fuel Pak and Cycle Shack slipon. Recently the bike will cut off when coming to a stop, as I depress the clutch the idle speed will drop lower than normal and the bike will sputter and then cut off. It will crank back up fine and then run normal. I have only change the plugs to a non Harley brand (NGK) . I am wondering if that could be the problem? Input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
08 Dyna FXD

Ok,
Ill start off with what is onthe bike. It is a 08 FXD with AN Big Sucker, Fuel Pak and Cycle Shack slipon. Recently the bike will cut off when coming to a stop, as I depress the clutch the idle speed will drop lower than normal and the bike will sputter and then cut off. It will crank back up fine and then run normal. I have only change the plugs to a non Harley brand (NGK) . I am wondering if that could be the problem? Input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
08 Dyna FXD

Hmmm. Was the bike doing this BEFORE you changed the plugs? Did it start right afterwards? I am sure you have made sure that the plug wires are definitely mashed on the plugs all the way. With the bike at idle, grab the plug wires one at a time and flex them back and forth to make sure you do not have an internal break in the wire. Very unlikely this has found anything.

Next, check for any trouble codes. See here:

08 07 DTC Codes [Archive] - Harley Davidson Community

Anything? If you have codes set, great. Should help figure out what is happening. If not, it is gonna be an intermittent problem with sensors (speed, crank position, etc.). Is the bike under warranty?

Give us some ideas based on the questions above.

TQ

Last edited:
I would have to say it started after I changed the plugs out. The wires seem to be fine, no arching or shorts. I have not pulled the codes as of yet. I was thinking the plugs only because that was the only real thing that has changed and after reading about plugs on the forum here to.
Im going to check the codes once I get home today and see whats up and post what I find.
Luckly the bike is still under warranty (bought a extended).

If you have codes, and they point to the sensors, I suggest you take it in for warranty work. The dealers I have dealt with WILL NOT take back electrical parts even if they are still in the package!! Yours may be different, but as long as the warranty covers the sensors, might as well take advantage of it.

If there are no codes, does this happen every time you come to a stop? Does it happen when the gas tank is full? Does the engine seem to be "hunting" for idle and eventually just stall?

TQ

Have you done anything to the idle speed set screw yet that is capped on the throttle body? That will throw the stepper motor that controls the idle speed into a tizzy and cause what is happening to you now. Possible your stepper motor needs some attention or replacement.

Have you done anything to the idle speed set screw yet that is capped on the throttle body? That will throw the stepper motor that controls the idle speed into a tizzy and cause what is happening to you now. Possible your stepper motor needs some attention or replacement.

Interesting. I haven't fooled with any set screws or really anything other than installing the FuelPak and changing the plugs. Prior to the FuelPak I did have the Cobra Fi2000 and recall that the bike did cut out on me a few times then.
So between now and the my first post the other day, I had a brief moment at work and changed the plugs out to a set I had a just back up (champions) just to see what if any difference it could make. The bike ran great up untill this morning , as it cut off on me like 6 times on the way to work. I pulled or attempted to pull codes and all I got was the following:
PN68921-07 & PN67478-04 other than that everything else stated no codes, so Im at a loss. Getting very frustrated with this flippin machine , so much that Im missing my VStar. I guess Im going to have to take it to the Dealer and waste a Saturday.

The fuel pack may be causing the problem from what you describe but questionable if it did it with the cobra also. Depending on what mods you have, I would consider removing or disconnecting it and see if the problem is still there.

Those two numbers are part numbers.

One other thing, take a look at the wires and cables around the battery area. If I recall, there was a problem with a cable wearing through and shorting out in this area.

The fuel pack may be causing the problem from what you describe but questionable if it did it with the cobra also. Depending on what mods you have, I would consider removing or disconnecting it and see if the problem is still there.

Those two numbers are part numbers.

One other thing, take a look at the wires and cables around the battery area. If I recall, there was a problem with a cable wearing through and shorting out in this area.

Thanks for the input. I checked the cables at the battery and around the general area, and everything seems fine. As for disconecting the FP, should it be ok for the bike as I have a Big Sucker and slipons on it, just dont want to lean out to much .

You really don't want to ride it any more than just to test it out. I would say keep it under 20 miles at the most.

My bike was acting like that no codes turned out it was a short in my key fob security would shut down fuel pump momentarily try using second key

Back