free website stats program Bike cut out in the middle of riding | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike cut out in the middle of riding

RideTheLightning

I was getting off the highway and the bike just stopped running. I was able to pull off to the side of the road safely. Tried to start her up again with no luck. The starter motor cranked, I was getting kind of a backfiring noise and a small smell of gasoline.

Got a tow, got it to the bike shop and it started right up... then died again.

So I have what seems like a intermittent spark.

Do you guys think it's as simple as fouled plugs or more of a major issue? I am just looking for ideas of what it might be while I am sitting idly.

Thanks,
RTL

What was the last mod you did to it? Start there. Kill switch is a culprit. Had the bars off latley? All the lights stay on when this happens? Or is completely dead?
Fouled plugs wouldnt just start working again. Maybe its a heat issue?

Bodeen

What was the last mod you did to it? Start there. Kill switch is a culprit. Had the bars off latley? All the lights stay on when this happens? Or is completely dead?
Fouled plugs wouldnt just start working again. Maybe its a heat issue?

Bodeen
Last mod was me putting on S&S slip-on mufflers in maybe October '10. Bars have not been off ever. Lights stayed on.
Bad gas? Did you fill up recently?
Yes. I put about 1 gallon of 93 octane (full tank), rode roughly 30 miles, then this happened.
Is a 2002 Sportster carb or FI.
Carb. :p

Appreciate the responses! :)

Yes. I put about 1 gallon of 93 octane (full tank), rode roughly 30 miles, then this happened.
I would say it looks like bad gas. May pay to pull the tank and clean it out, then drain or pull the float bowl and do the same.

Look for the screw to drain the float bowl.

CVFloatbowlRR.png

*Poor Performance With Carb Models - Harley Davidson Community

I would say it looks like bad gas. May pay to pull the tank and clean it out, then drain or pull the float bowl and do the same.

Look for the screw to drain the float bowl.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s45/bills985/CVFloatbowlRR.png[/IMG

[url="http://www.hdtimeline.com/fuel_and_carb_related_issues/1258-poor_performance_with_carb_models.html"]*Poor Performance With Carb Models - Harley Davidson Community[/url][/QUOTE]
Booooo. :(

I will bring this up with the guy working on the bike (I had it towed to the shop).

How exactly does one get "bad gas?" ie what makes it "bad?"

I will also take a look at that link.

Thanks guys. :)

Check the petcock and fuel strainer make sure you have good flow:s

Booooo. :(

I will bring this up with the guy working on the bike (I had it towed to the shop).

How exactly does one get "bad gas?" ie what makes it "bad?"

I will also take a look at that link.

Thanks guys. :)

Bad gas covers water or debris in the fuel from the station where you got the fuel.

Check the petcock and fuel strainer make sure you have good flow:s
This post made me lol. :D Will do.

Bad gas covers water or debris in the fuel from the station where you got the fuel.
Cool. Would using a fuel additive like MMO or Seafoam help prevent this type of thing from happening or is it more on a case-by-case basis?

Your link will definitely help me in the future.

Every time I jump on this forum I get a little motivated to become a DIY guy. :)

Back