free website stats program bike covers and condensation??? | Harley Davidson Forums

bike covers and condensation???

boneman

hello out there.
my wife and i had a chance to ride even though 38*,sunny and dry was ok by me.
when we put the bikes up and i covered them with a cover made of tyvek material.the bikes were still warm but not hot.
the next day i go to see how they are and a significant amount of condensation had formed, mostly on the motor and surrounding chrome.
i spent about 2 hours drying the bikes.nothing appears to be harmed.
can anyone share what they use for covers and have they had this happen?
putting the bikes up warm was not the thing to do but what covers breath the best in colder climates where condensation might happen?
thanks for your thoughts.

i have problem with the sweating also,it hadnt been ridden either,and not a cement floor,and no cover.maybe just to humid? i got better half to let me keep it in the bar now!

I keep my bike in my garage (un-heated), and have noticed condensation from time to time. I use a small fan to circulate the air and it seems to dry it off quite nicely.

To much unknown info.,but,putting the cover on when bike is warm will do that even if it is a breathable cover,make sure it is cooled off before you cover it,especially if it is kept in un-heated garage/building.Hot motor and all that cold metal (38* outside when you were riding) trapped under a cover= condensation.Also one thing that will also help is make sure your cover doesn't go to the floor.You need to let it breath,a cover that goes to the floor will also hold condensation.I'm guessing you have concrete floor?

There's always the option of a small light bulb placed under the bike. It will cause some thermals to rise up under the cover and dry things out.

putting the bikes under cover while still warm was not the way to go, no doubt.
they do sit on a concrete floor.
the suggestion about the bulb is pretty smart,glider.
my condolences to your poor brain,it must never get any rest!
thanks!

putting the bikes under cover while still warm was not the way to go, no doubt.
they do sit on a concrete floor.
the suggestion about the bulb is pretty smart,glider.
my condolences to your poor brain,it must never get any rest!
thanks!

What brain?:bigsmiley32: Sometimes I find myself talking to myself:D

My Trumpy has been under a cover in various garages for it's 10 years, in a pretty humid environment, and i've never had a problem with moisture buildup.

I never put it away hot, and it ALWAYS has a cotton sheet over the bike and then a lined bike cover over that.Works well for me.:57:

ALWAYS has a cotton sheet over the bike and then a lined bike cover over that.Works well for me.:57:

I have a couple of "old" flat cotton sheets that my wife used on the bed to cover my scoot up before the cover goes on.

I use a carcoon bubble but instead of the built in fan I have placed a very small electric dehumdiddyfier in it. The temperature now varies but the humdiddity stays at a constant 35%. I do however have to admid that it is a bit of a job to cover and uncover her.

Back