free website stats program Bike broke - tranny! | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike broke - tranny!

OK, folks. I have learned my lesson about all this procrastinatin' I've been doing! This weekend I am attacking the garage to get that in shape. Ordered the lumber for the ceiling joist doublers (the stuff the builder used was absolute trash!). Then peg-board up completely on the three walls. Move everything back in and set up for action. Won't look as good as Chopper's place, but at least I will be able to find everything.

Then, LITTLE BIKE! Complete tear down and rebuild of the '91 Dyna. Sorry to you purists, but I am gonna redo the powder coat on the engine and tranny cases with Teflon (Poly-Dyn). Not doing anything radical with the bike other than valve job, hone cylinders, and new cam shaft. Will do the photo essay thing like with the roller-chain conversion on the TC. Should be fun.

TQ

TQ glad to hear about Republic HD (Ryan) is who I deal with. I've been on the fence with them for two years, have gone back and forth from them to GOE in Angleton. I really want Republic to be the kind of dealer we can rely on, and this goes a long way to show they are, and it seems like their customer service has improved tremendously in the last year. Probably have to credit Craig Slovack for that.

Man the last week and this week have been awesome, how are you dealing with not getting to ride? I have my brother's Kawasaki Concours in my garage, he lives in Vegas and only rides it 2-4 times a year when he comes to town. I'm suppose to be riding it once a month, but I just can't get used to that style of riding. Your welcome to borrow it until yours is fixed.

GG,

I know what you mean about Republic. See here:

Dealers You Wouldn't Recommend. - Page 4 - Harley Davidson Community

But that was a couple of years ago. So when the tranny nuked, I decided to have it hauled there since that is where I bought the stuff. I must admit, I was NOT expecting much. Like I said above, I have been feasting on that CROW!!

I appreciate the offer on the Kawasaki. Very generous, but I would be high-on nervous riding it, even though my first bike when I was a kid was a Kawasaki KZ-400. Think I need to just hurry and get the little bike done!!

TQ

TQ,

Sorry 'bout your luck here but I do think the dealer is doing the right thing. It could have been MUCH worse. Hope you're back on the road soon.

TQ,

Sorry 'bout your luck here but I do think the dealer is doing the right thing. It could have been MUCH worse. Hope you're back on the road soon.

Absolutely. The Dealership and the Mother Ship I feel are doing the right thing by me in this situation. Much to my surprise! I really did NOT expect them to. So I am having second and third helpings of the CROW I have been eating based on some of the negative comments I made previously.

We'll see how it turns out.

TQ

Glad to see things worked out for you but isn't the labor bill a bit high?

Estimate is for 7.5 hours at their standard labor rate. That seems reasonable in terms of what they have to do. Disassemble bike, disassemble tranny, rebuild tranny and then reassemble bike.

TQ

OK, folks. Picked up the old girl today with her rebuilt tranny working thanx to the Mother Ship and Republic HD in Stafford Texas. HD paid for the parts, and I paid Republic for the labor to rebuild the SE 6-spd. Here are some pix of the damaged parts replaced by HD:

6-spd SE Transmission Repair Parts

Total bill was $746.06 which breaks down to:

712.50 Labor
31.00 Shop supplies
2.56 Tax

Republic put HD Formula + in both the tranny and primary. I will swap them out for the Spectro products I order online on Friday. Should be in by the weekend.

I was pretty impressed with how I was treated at Republic HD this time around. They even cleaned my bike before returning it.

TQ

Back