free website stats program Bike broke - tranny! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike broke - tranny!

Not what I wanted to hear for you TQ. I hope you get better news today from H-D. Here's a great opportunity for H-D to build their "PR" by doing the right thing & standing by the product and warranty.

counting they installed it yes? how did the threads and such get striped out or not bolted in hum maybe not put together right ?

From the description it seems that the Meganut was not torqued properly onto the main drive gear. Or the Meganut or main drive gear threads failed.

OK, Gents. The gory details.

Republic HD tore off the left side (primary) to expose the left side of the tranny. Horror show! The inside "teeth" in the drive pulley that mate with the "teeth" on the mainshaft where completely stripped out. The threads in the meganut that secures the drive pulley to the mainshaft where completely stripped, as were the mating threads on the mainshaft. But the locking screws were still holding the mega nut to the pulley. The mechanic said it looked like only a few threads had been engaged since only about three or four rounds were stripped on the mainshaft.

When the pulley was wallowing around loose, it tore up the back of the inner primary around the lip seal area. So, the big stuff I need to replace are at least:
  • inner primary
  • mainshaft/5th gear
  • drive pulley
  • plus the bits-and-pieces
Parts: $ 817
Labor: $ 712.50

Total w/tax: $1,590

That is the guesstimate until we open up the tranny and see if everything is OK in there.

So how did that all happen?

Next step is to contact HD Customer Service and see if they will do anything about this. The Service Manager at Republic is NOT very hopeful. We'll see. Will call them tomorrow.

TQ

Since we can't see the damage, I'm only guessing. With only a few threads engaged it would seem that the meganut could not have been torgued properly or that the mainshaft was not seated before the nut was torqued. I think that there is a very good chance that HD will cover this. If they don't respond in your favor I would ask for a third party evaluation. We are all pulling for you.

counting they installed it yes? how did the threads and such get striped out or not bolted in hum maybe not put together right ?

The tranny was a complete SE 6-spd completely assembled except for the side cover, with the drive pulley already mounted on the left side. This may have been a mistake, but I ASSUMED that the pulley was mounted correctly with the meganut torqued to the correct spec and then the lock bolts put in place. How many of us disassemble the tranny on a new bike to the point where we could check the torque on the meganut? No one! The instructions did not call for this. But maybe that is the kind of a thing that the old guys know to check cause they have learned the hard way!

Since we can't see the damage, I'm only guessing. With only a few threads engaged it would seem that the meganut could not have been torqued properly or that the mainshaft was not seated before the nut was torqued. I think that there is a very good chance that HD will cover this. If they don't respond in your favor I would ask for a third party evaluation. We are all pulling for you.

I will get all the parts back regardless on how this plays out, and will take some pix to let you guys take a peek.

Today I called the Mother Ship and talked to Cathy (may be with a "K"). She said that the Dealership would have to call and seek a "good will" warranty. So she tried to get the Service Manager on with me three-way. He was not there, so she talked to the GM who said them would be in contact with HD as soon as the Service Manager returned (tomorrow), and would get back to me on Thursday.

So, depending on the decision they make, I may be getting Chop to send me back the old 5-spd I sent him so that I can rebuild that box. I will send him the six speed as a swap. I will rebuild the 5-spd with the Baker DD6 (sorry Chop and Bubbie!). We'll see what happens. I am not holding my breath, but I will cross my fingers!

TQ

Hey TQ, the tranny is still in the box and ready to ship if you need it, I got it from you so I could help out a bro if needed, never though it would be you. I'm sure harley will goodwill it for you, if not it's because of the dealership, I'm sure. I would go with the baker also if they don't make it right for you, I have never had a problem with any S/E six speed, but if they don't stand behind it, then I've got a problem with ever using or recommending another one. Good luck

woaw TQ, i just read your troubles. By luck you wasn't hurt while riding.
I hope all will be sorted out like it shall be.

Back