free website stats program Bike Broke Down | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Broke Down

TXMikey

Developed a problem yesterday on my '08 Street Glide, and was wondering if anyone has heard of this. If so, can you shed some more light on this poor novice with very rusty mechanical skills?

Was getting onto the interstate in heavy traffic when the bike backfired and started losing power. Seemed as long as I didn't move the throttle it was OK, but when I tried to give it gas it would stumble, backfire, and lose power. Got off the highway as quick as I could, and continued down the frontage road. Came to a stop, and when I went to start again it tried to die as if starved for fuel. I could ride as long as I kept RPMs above 3K, but below that it had severe fuel starvation issues.

Since the dealer was only a couple of miles down the road, I decided to take it straight in since this seems likely to be a warranty issue.

The dealer checked it out, and called me to say the "cell" where the fuel filter mounts into the side of the fuel pump is cracked. This is apparently a known issue, and there has been a redesign on the part. Unfortunately, the part is on backorder to the factory until at least May 30. They are going to see if they can get a part pulled off the York assembly line and overnight it here, but they aren't sure if it will happen.

Looks like a beautiful weekend for riding just got shot all to heck.

That's a bummer,Let's keep our fingers crossed that they can get a replacement before the end of the month.

Oh man, what a total bummer! If it's a known issue does that mean a recall exists or is coming soon? Does the HD corporate website list recalls? How involved is getting at this part to check? Sorry, I'm not at home or I'd look it up in my service manual.

Best of luck getting your bike healthy again!

Wierd - my bike is at my indy mechanic's getting the remainder of the 1000 mile service check done. Called him about this and he says this is the first he's heard of it. And he keeps up with Harley stuff very diligantly. I'm renting a bike in Sacramento tomorrow so I'll definitely talk to the service folks out there about it.

Mikey - how many miles on your FLHX? No previous symptoms at all to tip you off? Thanks!

Wierd - my bike is at my indy mechanic's getting the remainder of the 1000 mile service check done. Called him about this and he says this is the first he's heard of it. And he keeps up with Harley stuff very diligantly. I'm renting a bike in Sacramento tomorrow so I'll definitely talk to the service folks out there about it.

Mikey - how many miles on your FLHX? No previous symptoms at all to tip you off? Thanks!

I've had the bike about 2 months, and have about 2,900 miles on it. Manufacture date is 10/07. Didn't really have any signs, other than the day before and earlier that morning it seemed like there may have been some small variances in speed. I thought it was just my hand moving on the throttle, so can't say for sure.

As for my dealer, they have given me outstanding service so far. Even have gone so far as to give me a ride back to my office when I dropped it off for service. I feel pretty confident they are going to take care of me. In fact, when I took it in I overheard them telling someone on the phone they were pretty backed up, and I saw a long line of bikes in the shop waiting for service. They took mine back, and had it diagnosed in about an hour or so.

Mikey,

I've got 1300 miles on mine so I'll be keeping a watchful eye out for these symptoms. Please keep us updated and hope you're back in the saddle soon!

So they took an hour to diagnose a 'known issue'???? ...And if it was known why did they sell it to you???

So they took an hour to diagnose a 'known issue'???? ...And if it was known why did they sell it to you???

I'm guessing it took about a half-hour to get a tech free, pull the tank, and figure out that was the problem. When I first took it in, the service manager thought it might be an injector that went bad. The other half-hour was probably spent tracking down availability of a replacement part.

Good news is, they called me about an hour ago to let me know the bike is ready. Don't think I can complain too much about the dealer taking too long when the total turnaround time was less than 48 hours, and that includes getting a back-ordered part pulled off the assembly line in PA, and ship it to TX.

I'm guessing it took about a half-hour to get a tech free, pull the tank, and figure out that was the problem. When I first took it in, the service manager thought it might be an injector that went bad. The other half-hour was probably spent tracking down availability of a replacement part.

Good news is, they called me about an hour ago to let me know the bike is ready. Don't think I can complain too much about the dealer taking too long when the total turnaround time was less than 48 hours, and that includes getting a back-ordered part pulled off the assembly line in PA, and ship it to TX.

WAY TO GO!! Glad to hear your back up and ridin' in time for the long week-end!!! Goes to show that not ALL dealer shops are (insert cliche'). Enjoy!!!!

Yep! Bike is back in service, and they even washed it before I picked it up! Part replaced was the fuel filter housing, which mounts to the fuel pump inside the fuel tank. Svc. Mgr says they are making it out of thicker plastic now because the original design has a habit of breaking.

Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

Back