free website stats program Big Learning Curve | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Big Learning Curve

I,ll try to make it clear as mud. I back down about a 1 foot slope across a walkway. End up on about five feet of grass ( I know crazy, but that's condo life). Where I got stuck is the transition from the grass to the concrete. Front tire hits the concrete and I end up turning hard right and either let it fall over or call for help. As I said, may sound crazy, but that's what I gotta do to ride. I'm sure I'll figure out a rube goldberg solution,, but also figured someone might have some sound advice.

thanks for all the feedback

Hey Birdman, I can relate to your situation. My 1st bike - 2007 Kawasaki 900 Classic LT (still in the garage for sale) and my 2nd bike - 2011 Ultra Classic Limited. The kawi I could back up anywhere with no problem, the Ultra's another 300 lbs. so that took a little practice and takes a little more time to back up. So take your time and you'll get the hang of it. Right after I got my Ultra there were times I thought I might have gotten to big of a bike, but the more I rode it the more confident I got with it. I'll take the 900 for a spin once
in a while just to run it, but man I can't wait to get back and get on the Harley. Stick with it You will love that bike. Ride safe. :)

Sounds like the grass is the problem, Is there anyway to remove that section of grass and put down concrete? Or build up the area of grass higher than the concrete so you come down on the concrete instead of your tire getting caught on the concrete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the grass is the problem, Is there anyway to remove that section of grass and put down concrete? Or build up the area of grass higher than the concrete so you come down on the concrete instead of your tire getting caught on the concrete.

Good idea here with the concrete, or how about paving stones?:s

Hope this doesn't sound dumb... Is there any way you can turn the bike around at the top of the driveway and ride forward to get out? I alway look to pull in to spots in such a way as to avoid backing up if possible.

It sounds like the bike is stored outside under a cover. If that's the case then rust and corrosion are going to be a problem. Have you considered renting storage nearby ?

Back