free website stats program Big Engine Nightmares & Pitfalls | Harley Davidson Forums

Big Engine Nightmares & Pitfalls

Lets all here the horror stories out their that some have come across in their search of the big builds with these so called mechanics who take our money and run if you know what i mean.:x

Here's a real easy trapp to fall in,happened to me.Local wrench falls on hard times, a good time to get some mods done right.Turns out thats not the guy you want working on your scoot.

You see, hard times means he used the wrong push rods.Not that he wasnt an accomplished wrench..Hard times are hard times and those are what he had in stock.He thought they'd work...Not so much.

Lesson learned, if you walk into an understaffed,understalked facility..run as fast as you can.They have no capital and will take the cheep way out in every instance when servicing your bike.

do it myself :D usually mind my Dyna was used on a demo day so people could see how an engine was built and i got it done cheaper :D

Hobbitt,
I don't think the advice of doing it yourself is not realistic. If a person is not one who can work on motors and has a bike that cost some $30,000 surely you wouldn't suggest he work on his own bike. i am sure you have gone through many of clunker bikes before you started doig your high priced bikes?

I got one for you what about you get your bike back from the builder and after 4 days you brake down on the highway in the middle of the night and you call him and he tells you that traveling from maryland to richmond,va
[98 miles] was not a good idea.:newsmile030:

As for your engine builder telling you not to ride 98 miles is appalling if his workmanship and parts and/or customer service is that bad then they are in the wrong business - im hoping i am wrong and he put right any and all faults

Hobbitt,
You don't know the half trust me,I'm just getting started my friend with this thread believe me. I know that their are many many more out there on this and other forums who have gone through some nightmares with these so call big engine builders of harley's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one for you what about you get your bike back from the builder and after 4 days you brake down on the highway in the middle of the night and you call him and he tells you that traveling from maryland to richmond,va
[98 miles] was not a good idea.:newsmile030:

Did you post this builder on the bad dealers list? Would'n want anyone else on the forum to wander into this establishment.:bigsmiley28:

Okay. I have to put my 2 cents in here. I agree with Hobbitt totally. To me, half the fun is working on the bike. I take alot of pride in doing it myself. Yes, I have an engineering and strong mechanical background. Yes I built show cars and fast small block chevy's. I also did alot of machining and welding. So I am comfortable doing my own work if I have the tools and the manual. I did some pricing and doing my own engine work and buying the tools was way cheaper then going to the dealer. And you pay for the tools only once. Secondly you get great advice to help with the extras on here too. I totally agree if you aren't comfortable doing the work or just want to ride it and park it when done then that's your choice. I just like the idea of knowing exactly what was done and what wasn't done and if something goes wrong how to fix it. We also have long winters here so we have alot of time to tear things apart. HAHAHA Do I make mistakes? OH yeah !!! Do I learn from them. OH Yeah !! :D Lastly my son wants a Harley badly. He worked on mine with me from pulling engine out, stripping down cases, installing bearings and checking crank endplay to putting in pistons and barrels etc. He "knows" alot about them already and he doesn't own one "yet". Okay okay. I'm done. :newsmile102:

Years back I made the mistake of having an engine build done by an INDY.
I let Bubba build my engine. NEVER again.
Any engine work I have done now will be done by someone with a real shop, that has been there for YEARS, that has people working there that have been there for years.
That have had more training than what they learned by the seat of thier pants.
It is worth the few dollars more you pay for a real pro than what you save with a Bubba.
Now this is gone upset a few but I know a lot of Hd riders and The two biggest cause of early failures and poor runing rides are people doing there own engine work and thise that let bubba do it.
I am amazed at little trouble I have with my bikes sense I laid down the law on who touches it.

I agree with the first part of your post, you have to be very careful as to who you let do anything to your bike. Not just engine, but anything else too. There are a lot of people out there who are pretenders and can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk.
As to your other comment that many problems are created by the owner not really knowing enough to to the job correctly. Most of us started slow and did the small things first, like fluid changes and graduated to troubleshoothing, thanks to advice from this forum. Complete engine rebuilds and engine mods. are not magic and you don't have to be gifted to perform them. You will need the proper tools and training to have a favorable outcome. The most important thing is like Clint Eastwood said "A man has to know his limitations".:bigsmiley28:

I work on mine as much as I can and enjoy it. I have the maitenance manual which really helps and I do make mistakes and it might take me a little longer,but I know it's done right. Also,mechanics have reputations, ask questions of others and you will find out who is trustworthy

Years back I made the mistake of having an engine build done by an INDY.
I let Bubba build my engine. NEVER again.
Any engine work I have done now will be done by someone with a real shop, that has been there for YEARS, that has people working there that have been there for years.
That have had more training than what they learned by the seat of thier pants.
It is worth the few dollars more you pay for a real pro than what you save with a Bubba.
Now this is gone upset a few but I know a lot of Hd riders and The two biggest cause of early failures and poor runing rides are people doing there own engine work and thise that let bubba do it.
I am amazed at little trouble I have with my bikes sense I laid down the law on who touches it.

does that mean every independently owned shop, whether auto or bike(edit)??? I own a collision shop... My employees and myself have more talent in our little finger's....than most "dealership" techs!!

You may have run into a bad tech...but it surly doesn't matter where he does his work...or that he was a indy....and not all indy shop are under capitalized either...!!!

Just read through this forum....and you can find, many "bad dealership" stories has well!

Support your local Indy!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back