free website stats program Big Decision This Weekend - Buy New/Used? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Big Decision This Weekend - Buy New/Used?

You need to have her sit on the back before you make a decision. My wife wanted a Heritage for the looks but once she sat on the back and then sat on the the back of the Ultra, it was the Ultra for her.

NEW!

Break it in yourself, smell the new and ride safe...

By the way, I am picking up my 2008 Heritage Softail Classic tomorrow...:D

I wonder if i'll be able to sleep tonite :p

Cheers,

Bill

NEW!

Break it in yourself, smell the new and ride safe...

By the way, I am picking up my 2008 Heritage Softail Classic tomorrow...:D

I wonder if i'll be able to sleep tonite :p

Cheers,

Bill

Congrats!! Now about the break in - VERY interesting article under the Quick Links above by I think he goes by motorman or some such. Basically he recommends you do his break in by 20 miles and then immediately change the oil/filter.

Judging from the responses I got on another forum about this it's fairly controversial but a very interesting read, regardless.

Oh heck, let me go get the link. Here it is:

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

If it doesn't work go to Quick Links Tips/Engine Related/Break In

Congrats!! Now about the break in - VERY interesting article under the Quick Links above by I think he goes by motorman or some such. Basically he recommends you do his break in by 20 miles and then immediately change the oil/filter.

Judging from the responses I got on another forum about this it's fairly controversial but a very interesting read, regardless.

Oh heck, let me go get the link. Here it is:
If it doesn't work go to Quick Links Tips/Engine Related/Break In
Link deleted because I hAVE LESS THAN 5 POSTS

Hobbit and Dr. Doolittle, Thanks!

For the record, I did sleep but woke up early in anticipation :D.

I got to the dealer and took care of the paperwork and picked out new grips to be installed today.

Came home and finalized insurance....

Now,have to wait for wifey to get off work so I can go back to the dealer and ride it home!
:D

That is a very interesting break in procedure and it actually makes sense to me as we used to operate high performance engines and that is essentially how we broke them in on the dyno...I will do it!

As an aside, they had an 08 Screaming Eagle Road King at the dealership. Man, that was a cool bike!..If I had 12 more grand to spend...:)

Cheers, Bill

Last edited:
New at thats it, because its YOUR bike

And the used bike I bought is MY bike now! Try to tell me different, I've got a title that has MY name on it. The things that were on it were things I would have put on anyway. I've added the additional things I wanted. It is MY bike and it is the way I want it. I really don't get it. You guys are willing to spend thousands of dollars extra so you can say your bike was new? There are so many slightly used bikes that are as good as new bikes going for thousands of dollars less.

Doolittle, it is your money to save or spend, but since you asked...

The new bike has the option of ABS brakes. That's a real plus that isn't available with used. The first time some as----e pulls out in front of you and you have to make a (I hate the word "panic" but there it is) stop you will be a believer. I don't care how much you practice emergency stops in a parking lot the tendency is still to step down hard on the rear and grab a handful of front. The ABS can save your butt. Just something to thnk about. The only good ride is one where you park the bike afterward with all your skin intact.

If the brakes aren't a selling point, and even if they are, take your wife along for the test rides. My wife is my best friend and favorite riding companion. As in, just TRY to leave her at home when I ride! I tell folks that our Harley really belongs to her because she chose it. I liked the looks of a Road King. She fell in love with the backrest/tour pak and seat of the Electra Glide Classic. I have never regretted gettung the Electra Glide. We can ride for 100+ miles and get off ready to do 100 more.

As for the salesperson and when they say "what will it take to put you on this bike today?", the answer is "a deal you can't walk away from". They are trained to get the best deal they can for the dealership and themselves since they are paid commission. Your job is to limit their profit as much as possible. I bought a 2007 Electra Glide Classic former demo bike with 4,200 miles on the clock and more add-on chrome than you would believe for $17,500. I'm not bragging. I went into that place ready to play the game on my terms. If you have cash to purchase your bike, as it sounds like you do, you are in an even better position. Walk in with CASH in your wallet. Be sure the salesperson sees it. It puts the ball in his court if he wants those greenbacks.

It probably sounds like I'm advocating buying from a dealer and I am. New or used, if something goes wrong you have somebody to go back to. Try going back to a private individual if your battery craps out on Day 2 because he made sure to charge it before you showed up and it did it's usual die-overnight trick. With a dealer you have somebody with a vested interest in keeping you happy. They want your service business, not to mention any and all accessories you might purchase in the future. You have leverage that you can take advantage of on the day of the sale.

One last thought...Isn't making that choice of which bike to buy fun? LOL!

Storm

Congrats Billua!!!!!:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers
You will enjoy the ride!!
I still have "issues"(wife says there are many!) sleeping at night....and its been 4 months!!:D
I even offer to walk the dog just so i can take a look at her in the garage and even sit in the saddle!:bigsmiley8::bigsmiley8:
Dr.Dolittle...Take 2 beers (or choice of drink) and log on in the am and we will all walk you through this!!

Last edited:
I tried to deal with a dealership. I looked at several used bikes at several different dealerships and they wanted to rape me. The 2006 Ultras I looked at the dealerships were $19,000 to $20,000. The most they would come down was $1,000. These bikes were in the same condition as the ones I looked at on Ebay. I am willing to buy a new battery if I can save $4,000. But I wouldn't of had to because the private seller was willing to replace anything I found that was defective including the battery if it didn't hold a charge.

Well, I got my 08 FLSTC home. What a great bike!

I have only put 7 miles on it as it was raining by the time I got close to home...I live in the driest desert in the United States and it was raining the day I brought home my first new road bike in 10 years :p

That said, initial impressons...No fuel petcock and no choke/enrichener to mess with..This bike is ready to ride 30 seconds after firing up, no spitting or slobbering..

Next, it is too quiet for me...I am going to go with a Rinehart Caliber 2 into 1...

Floorboard extensions are a must!!! The right is fine, left will not work without them., Both are now ordered.

Clutch pull is firm, but not overbearing. Trans is a bit notchy and clunky, but no worries as the bike is new and I will get Spectro in there after the 1k check.

The gearing is excellent. This bike moves like a 1200 Sportster.

I did not get above 5th gear as I was in secondary type streets. I did not notice any peculiar noise, but couldn't cruise very long in gear...

This bike rides very nice!

I hope the weather clears tomorrow so that I can finish my break in cycles and change the oil..

Nothing like a new bike with the latest technology!

Cheers, Bill

P.S. Twisted Grip, thanks!!! Nice bike! I know what you mean, I have been out in the garage 3 times looking at my bike since I got home :)

I will try to post a pic tomorrow

Back