free website stats program Big Bore part two | Harley Davidson Forums

Big Bore part two

xxspark

Thanks to Chopper and Hobbit for your advice. I would appreciate any more input on this performance upgrade I am thinking about. First off I would like to upgrade my 2002 fatboy to the Screaming Eagle 110".I am know I will have to replace my flywheel and do case boring to accomodate this. I am dealing with a pro. machine shop who I think is both knowledgeable and fair. I am dealing over the internet for the parts needed to try and keep cost under 4k. My guy thinks I am crazy. He does not like SE stuff and says I am being sucked in just for the SE script on the heads. (maybe he's right). He would suggest a 95" bore with work on the heads and hopfully a gear cam.($3500) I am told even if I buy the 110"performance kit the cams with this kit could not be used (the kit is for 2008-2010 touring. Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Thanks to Chopper and Hobbit for your advice. I would appreciate any more input on this performance upgrade I am thinking about. First off I would like to upgrade my 2002 fatboy to the Screaming Eagle 110".I am know I will have to replace my flywheel and do case boring to accomodate this. I am dealing with a pro. machine shop who I think is both knowledgeable and fair. I am dealing over the internet for the parts needed to try and keep cost under 4k. My guy thinks I am crazy. He does not like SE stuff and says I am being sucked in just for the SE script on the heads. (maybe he's right). He would suggest a 95" bore with work on the heads and hopfully a gear cam.($3500) I am told even if I buy the 110"performance kit the cams with this kit could not be used (the kit is for 2008-2010 touring. Am I biting off more than I can chew?

JUST MY OPINION IF I were doing the UP-GRADE and YOUR bike were mine.. REPLACEMENT ENGINE first choice..

second choice
I would go with a not over 10.0/1 compression 95" big bore.... have the heads PROPER ported n flowed for the size of engine and the choice of CAMS..
I went with a 42 mikuni and manifold... offered improvement BUT found the stock harley carb was HARD to beat and should of stayed with it....

I would only go with the KIT TYPE UPGRADE (hyd.) OFFERED TODAY using tne newer style cam tensioners....WITH the KIT comes the MUCH NEEDED OTHER UPGRADES ...... they are; NEWER style OIL PUMP and CAM support plate... with the sprokets and chain... around 429.99 and you will need MORE than just the kit..
spacers,torrington berings and gaskets...

I have done the GEAR DRIVE on a 2000 dyna and had GREAT results BUT I replaced the oil pump with feuling and delkron cam plate.bigger$$$$ than todays offered KIT with all the parts needed for HYD,. conversion..

JUST ANOTHER OPINION!

signed....BUBBIE

Hmmm, well your bike your money. But 4k would buy you a brand new harley crate motor (88) from the factory. A friend just put a Dave Mackie bolt in cam into his 88 and is hitting a little under 90 horse and 90 FPT on the dyno. His total cost was under 2k The 110 is I think around 100 horse and 100 FPT out of the box. Just food for thought.

If I were in your shoes I would do either one of two builds. The first one I would consider is a 96in big bore conversion from AMS with Andrews 21G cams. It is priced at a very reasonable $1495.00 and includes everything including gaskets, head work and the whole nine yards, parts only.
This is the link

|Automotive Machine & Supply Inc.|

The second build that I would consider is in this month's Hot Bike magazine that uses S&S 97in big bore kit with their 583 Easy Start cams. The dyno sheet looks impressive with 88.90 hp and 102.51 tq. It has a nice flat torque line.
Here is the link for this build

S&S 97ci Big Bore Part 2 - Hot Bike Magazine

I don't think that it is worth the extra $$$$ to do the 110 build. And no the cams that come with the 110 kit will not fit they are for 2007 and up. The inner bearing journals are a different size.

Well that's my 2 cents,
Randall

Back