free website stats program Bias Ply/Radial | Harley Davidson Forums

Bias Ply/Radial

HDDon

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Can some one give me the reasoning behind the reccomendation that radials not be run on Harley Big Twins?

Is that an opinion or is there something you've seen stats on? Not questioning your judgement but Goldwings have been running radials for years, and they are 200 to 400 lbs heavier than most Harleys.

Do some research, but I recall reading about this same topic somewhere and seem to remember that they seem to follow the tar stripes on the highway more so than the other.

I think that comparison from Michelin is a bit biased (no pun intended) because it is referring to Automobile tires and auto tires are shaped much different than motorcycle tires. Just the way motorcycle tires are rounded nowadays makes it more so. A long time ago car and bike tires resembled themselves more.

Thanks for the web site, great info for anyone with a question on motorcycle tires. I scaned the site (and saved it to my favs), but I still don't think I have an answer to my original question. Why aren't you suppose to put them on a Harley? As to Hobbit's comment on weight, I only used the Wing as an example of a bike weighing as much or more than a Harley and uses radial tires. The two ply sidewalls seem to work for the Wing. Way not for my Road Glide? All the dealer says is it is not reccomended by the manufacturer of my motorcycle.

Back