free website stats program Between Gears | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Between Gears

On some of the bikes I've owned (BMWs and Moto Guzzis mostly) if I didn't shift that way, I was asking to find false neutrals.

And you probably remember the shifting with the other foot.... Youngsters would probably Not believe that one.
Had a hard time re-learning to do that one properly.. Owned newer and the OLD ones at the same time..

signed....BUBBIE

And you probably remember the shifting with the other foot.... Youngsters would probably Not believe that one.
Had a hard time re-learning to do that one properly.. Owned newer and the OLD ones at the same time..

signed....BUBBIE

I never owned a right-shift bike. Those bikes were too expensive for me when I was young. I was lucky to be able to buy a cheap Japanese bike back then. I've ridden a couple: an old Sportster and an old Triumph. But that was many years ago. I think the Sportser came out (1957) with the right-side shift to compete against the English bikes which were making sort of an invasion into the US at the time.

Slapp...one thing unique about HD...if you are using heel and toe shifting with floorboards, it IS tricky getting used to and the proper pedal height is a MUST.

Just be aware, some riders never get it quite right or are patient enough to keep with it, and pitch the heel shifter entirely, and using a blind spacer kit in it's place. Bubbie and TT have you covered...

Bubbie thanks, I learned to shift that way about 30 years ago from my Dad, and I even owned a couple right side shift bikes in my day. Went for a long ride yesterday (Sunday) and it still was doing it, so now it becomes a warranty issue. Bike will be in shop by tomarrow (Tuesday). Thanks all of you for your response and the trip down memory lane.

Back