free website stats program Between Gears | Harley Davidson Forums

Between Gears

Slapp

Not sure what is going on? 09 Electra Glide right about 8k on the odometer. When I am down shifting (mainly between 3rd and 2nd) all of a sudden I get dead space not really in gear not really out of gear, almost like I hit neutral, I will then have to down shift it again real quick for it to engage. Checked for proper clutch play and all seems OK there. Bike is still under warranty. Should I mess with it or just let the dealer, deal with it?

check and make sure the shift lever isnt binding. not returning up as they will give you a dead spot feel

had the same problem on my 10 ultra after a trashy service. had trans torn down at another dealer and rebuilt. shifter throw is about 1/2 what it was and shifting is better. no dead spot from 3rd to 2nd. actually had to go to 5th and restart down to get 1st. just something in the box. don't know what they did and don't care. it works.

Warranty issue if you trust your local dealer if not any dealer will do

IF you are SURE you shift FULLY and HOLD shifter into that next gear position until clutch is let out and it Still is not right.. WARRANTY!

PROPER SHIFTING, the Old Way Taught..

HOLD foot shifter FULLY into the shifted Position, HOLD it there until clutch is let out.... Then release the foot tension.
A lot of times this will aid the tranny to "complete" the shift of the gear pulling it into gear Fully... I do this ON ever bike I ride regardless HOW NEW it is..:D

signed....BUBBIE

downshifting out of 3rd the lever is dead. almost like it isn't connected to anything. i kicked my new ultra til i was stopped at a light and had to go back up. something wasn't snagging the lever to complete the shift. it just wasn't there. i thought it was me not allowing the lever to return to "cock" for the next shift. wrong! it is warranty and it is fixed.

not needed as glimmerman posted the response to his problem..

Last edited:
IF you are SURE you shift FULLY and HOLD shifter into that next gear position until clutch is let out and it Still is not right.. WARRANTY!

PROPER SHIFTING, the Old Way Taught..

HOLD foot shifter FULLY into the shifted Position, HOLD it there until clutch is let out.... Then release the foot tension.
A lot of times this will aid the tranny to "complete" the shift of the gear pulling it into gear Fully... I do this ON ever bike I ride regardless HOW NEW it is..:D

signed....BUBBIE

Yes sir! I've been shifting that way for many, many years. 30 maybe. I've owned some bikes where the shifting was, how can I say it, ambiguous, with false neutrals found easily. Shifting, as you described, always resulted in a "complete" shift. Now I must say, I find the H-D gearboxes great shifting -- I love the loud clunk -- you know it's in gear. Now, it took me a while to make this style of shifting second nature.

Yes sir! I've been shifting that way for many, many years. 30 maybe. I've owned some bikes where the shifting was, how can I say it, ambiguous, with false neutrals found easily. Shifting, as you described, always resulted in a "complete" shift. Now I must say, I find the H-D gearboxes great shifting -- I love the loud clunk -- you know it's in gear. Now, it took me a while to make this style of shifting second nature.

Tucson_Tim,:D

WELL Thank You!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,, Just nice to HEAR of someone Else Who can AGREE with my statement....
Thank You "" "" "" ""

My Newer Bikes shift good but the shifting method I describer is Still the way I do it. Occasionally I can feel it Pull All the way into the gear even on my 09 FLHR...

signed....BUBBIE

Tucson_Tim,:D

WELL Thank You!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,, Just nice to HEAR of someone Else Who can AGREE with my statement....
Thank You "" "" "" ""

My Newer Bikes shift good but the shifting method I describer is Still the way I do it. Occasionally I can feel it Pull All the way into the gear even on my 09 FLHR...

signed....BUBBIE

On some of the bikes I've owned (BMWs and Moto Guzzis mostly) if I didn't shift that way, I was asking to find false neutrals.

Back