free website stats program better seat for sturgis | Harley Davidson Forums

better seat for sturgis

Merlynn

This may already have a thread, if so please point me in the right direction.

Been getting farther and farther afield in my travels and want to upgrade to a better seat for long distance touring on my 09 Ultra Classic. As I am vertically challenged (29" inseam) I want a more comfortable seat that doesn't sit me higher and preferably a little lower.

Is the reach seat comfortable for long rides? We're planning Ft. Lauderdale to Sturgis with detours next summer and will be in the saddle for about 3 and a half weeks, planning 300 miles per day (plus down days for weather, fun, maintenance). What's your favorite seat?

Last edited:
Reach seat does just what it says - improves your reach for the controls and the ground by moving you forward and down. I'm not sure how the padding is for long days in the saddle. You could try the reach seat and see if you're happy with where it sits you, then have Mean City (Mean City Cycles Custom Seat Modifications :: Motorcycle Seat Modifications) modify it for comfort without changing how it makes you sit.

Cheaper solution would be an Airhawk or gel seat pad but they would both sit you a little higher.

Also, be sure you have a backrest and highway pegs if you're going to be doing long days in the saddle. They allow you to shift your sitting position a bit as the day goes on and help eliminate hot spots.

I had butt buffers in Dallas put gel packs in my stock seat and narrow it a little to help me reach the ground, got 20,000 miles on the set up including a 7000 mile trip and am very pleased with the seat. I would like to hear more about the new Harley seat with he suspension system if anyone has used it.

Even though I'm 5'11'' tall, I also have a 29" inseam. (Didn't know I had short legs until I started riding motorcycles 5 years ago.) The stock seat on my Road Glide was heaven compared to the stock seat on my 05 Goldwing but I looked into other seats before my first ride to Sturgis earlier this year.

I ended up with the HD sundowner seat. It moved me almost as low as the reach seat and it was more comfortable than the reach seat. I was very happy with the Sundowner seat for all 4,250 miles of the trip.

If you Google "HD Sundowner Seat" it will give you the internet address of a thread discussing the Sundowner vs. the Reach set on a rival board (HD Talking).

Good luck on your search.

I am vertically challenged (29" inseam) I want a more comfortable seat that doesn't sit me higher and preferably a little lower.

My inseam is also 29" and I put a LePera Maverick seat (biker gel front and back) on. I flatfooted easily. I loved the seat, but mama didn't. Do your research and if you find you're interested, check this thread out. It's a little pricier than some other options, but sometimes it's worth it.

No sweat - that's what I suspected anyway. I'm still a member there but I spend 100 hours on this wonderful site for every hour I spend there. Basically it's good for some laughs and some good photos.

I'm still a member there also, but spend nearly all my time here. And I like it here much better as demonstrated by my slip in listing this board instead of the "other board." Can't beat the moderators and the members here.

I am as well vertically challenged, so much so that I not only had to have a seat that set me lower and more forward I also slammed my bike. None the less let me get to the point. I chose the HD Reach Seat for my choice of seat because I received it at a discount rate when I purchased the bike from the dealer. It is a seat that does well for the money, are their better seats out there, of course there are if you are willing to spend some money. What really made the difference for me was adding the driver backrest. This can be purchased in two option adjustable set, or adjustable micro set. The differences are the later is more adjustable. I just took a trip to the mountains from Florida 7.5 hours each way with no problems (and I had lower back surgery as well as a broken neck in the past) riding two up with the Misses. I will add that I also added to my bike the Heritage bars so the reach was more comfortable for me as I am just a short person 5”5” not like you at 5’11”.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Back