free website stats program better mpg..or myth | Harley Davidson Forums

better mpg..or myth

gunnut

Is there any truth in the rumour that you get more mpg dependanding on what fuel you use??I've heard cheaper fuels have less additives desto less mpg.What say you all???
I think I got better mpg from Esso,as apposed to the local supermarket cut price fuel,on the other hand,maybe it was just wishfull thinking.

higher octane= better performance & mileage. in my view.water in the fuel storeage tanks really affected some drivers mileage. try & stick with a newly opened gas station. less chance its tanks have water in them.lb

Petrol all comes from the same refinery here in scotland it might even be deliverd by the same tanker visiting the esso first then to tesco the difference is that any additives that make the fuel different are added when it is going into the tanks at the petrol station
petrol station owner says they dont add anything at tesco i tend to get a few miles more to the gallon in my car using esso

Brian

There is the possibility of more fuel mileage from one brand versus another. The biggest indicator is how hard the right wrist is used while riding and the mods done for more power.
I go with myth.

IMO, the sooner you get into high gear with out lugging the engine and then roll on the throttle easy you will get your best MPG no matter what gas you are using

Complete Myth.... ditch the ethanol and you'll get better mileage and a longer running bike. Thanks EPA.

higher octane= better performance & mileage...

This is also a myth (although the oil companies would want you to think otherwise). The octane rating simply indicates the pressure the fuel can withstand before spontaneously igniting. For better "performance," one should always use the lowest octane possible which results in no "knocking" (or fuel ignition without a spark). The lower the octane rating, the lower the pressure the fuel can withstand without igniting. Higher performing engines often run at higher compression ratios thereby making a higher octane necessary; however, the fuel is not the source of the performance... the engine is.

All that being said; follow your owner's manual.

Having a sporty with no fuel gauge, I have to watch my mileage closely or risk walking. I've experimented with octane and brand. The owner's manual calls for 87 octane (low grade) with up to 10 % ethy.

I found mid grade, 89 octane gave the best "feel" and mileage. I couldn't measure any meaningful advantage of premium fuel (91 octane)

This is for Canada.

I did have some fuel problems from an independant station so, I keep to national brands and generally don't seek out one over the other. Just happens Shell is right around the corner so, they get the majority of my business.

Not sure if that helps or not considering I'm not on a big twin like most of you.

Cheers.

Higher Octane does not mean better mileage or performance in fact it can mean lower.
Higher octane burns slower ,in an engine designed for a faster burning fuel the higher octane will not fire correctly same goes for an engine built for higher octane like those with high compression they will fire to early with low octane fuels.
In most stock HD's 91-93 makes no difference

My understanding is the octane rate on the pump is a combined rateing of research # (RON) and (MON) Ron is determined with test engine at 600rpm standard Baro intake temp @125 ron is primarly adresses part throttle knock or ping, Mon adresses WOT engine @ 900 rpm stabdard Baro intake air temp up to 300deg. The rateing @ pump is AKI (anti knock index) wich is MON + RON. Octane is the blend to handle higher temp and pressure(compression)
Burn rate is determined by other factors that the fuels are formulated for.

Sunco Maximal race fuel formulated for pro stock devision has a octane of 116 and is there fastes burning fuel. these engines are turning at 9,000rpm. and need a fast burning fuel to get complete combustoin.

A higher or lower octane # dose not in itself determine if it is a fast or slow burning fuel, It also dose not give a direct indication of power out put since octane is not oxygen or carbon wich you would need to add to increse BTU output of the fuel you are burning.

I am not a expert just some things I have learned in 30 years in the auto industry.

I agree I would never use or rec the use of that high of octane for steet vehicle. Of the 5 race fuels that Sunoco makes the one that has the highest octane rateing has the fastes burn rate of the 5. I was using it as the example because it was the only brand of fuel that I could fined published figures for octane and burn rate. I have heard the statement that high octane burns slower but have never seen data to confirm that. Not saying it is not out there.
I would consider Burn rate of fuel the measurment of time required for complete combustion.

Back