free website stats program BETTER FUEL MPGs | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

BETTER FUEL MPGs

Ok, im not sure if i will answer your questioin or not, but i will give you a lil insight, The popular misconception of fuel is that bigger(octane number) is better, that coudlnt be further from the truth, the idea fuel is the lowest octane number without promotoing pinging or any type of spark knock, and why? the higher octane fuel has a higher detenation number, which slows burning and the combustion process, so theoretically, i guess it could produce less mpg by waisting fuel, YOu just have to be careful that you dont let the motor detonate, and being a air cooled motor, i wouldnt take that chance, they run hot as it is, just my two cents.

p.s..... another thing to consider, I know for a fact that fuel makers are playing with ethanol numbers in fuel, and reguardless of octane rating, this is going to effect mpg.
Before i added the fuelpak i did run some mid grade and it would ping or knock under hard throttle but after the fuepak it dosent do it. I allways thaught that the higher octain would make more power and better MPGs but i guess that was wrong!!!!!!! With the fuelpak adding more fuel would that keep it from pinging with lower grade fuel?

Lean running AFR will cause a ping, adding fuel will reduce or eliminate the ping as long as the ping isn't from another source like excessive timing advance.

Lean running AFR will cause a ping, adding fuel will reduce or eliminate the ping as long as the ping isn't from another source like excessive timing advance.
Thanks for the input guys. I am not concerned about the price of fuel or nothing, i was just curiouse about the results i was getting from the lower fuel but i will be going back to 93 octain. Again thanks for the input.

Back